Morning thrist days after surgery -what to do?

mrsprez_04
on 5/8/12 12:32 pm - Racine, WI
How do you handle it when you wake up and you are sooo thirsty days after surgery and only can sip/drink little at a time? Thanks to all *****spond!
soozieq
on 5/8/12 12:37 pm
Just sip. sip. sip.  I keep a cup of water on my bedside table now and even drink if I wake up in the middle of the night.
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/8/12 12:47 pm - OH
Many people are able to take a reasonably normal drink right after surgery, and as long as it doesn't cause you any discomfort, it is fine.  You will not damage anything by drinking more than sips.  The doctors emphasize sipping because there are many people who DO have discomfort with a more normal drink.

If more than sis bother you, about he o y thing you can do is try to get in as much fluid as possible BEFORE bed and then sip, sip, sip after you get up. Sip before you head to the bathroom, take another sip when you finish in the bathroom, sip while you wait for the shower water to get warm, sip as soon as you get out of the shower, sip again once you have dried off, etc.  it takes VERYlittle time for a very small amount of water to exit your pouch, so you should be able to sip every couple of minutes.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cherokeesage
on 5/8/12 1:04 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
One of the things I was told was to drink warm water and sip.  As soon as possible, I started drinking icewater because for me it was more satisfying.  I quit sipping after a couple of weeks.  I thought I had to sip the rest of my life.  LOL

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/12 1:22 pm - waukesha, WI
suck on ice cubes.  I personally bought stock in Gatorade.  Thought it was to die for.  I didn't care if it was full of artificial sweetner.  Started drinking it in the hospital.  Made my brother stop at the store on my way home from hospital.  Bought like a !00.00 worth.  One day I woke up and was like wtf am I putting in my body.  Haven't touch the stuff since.  Find something you like and drink away!
Angel-MJ
on 5/9/12 12:26 am - Barrie, Canada
I'm 3 weeks post op and I am still having issues with always being thirsty, I am sipping like crazy.  I tried Crystal Light and it seemed to make me more thirsty.  I have never been a sipper, I enjoyed a mouth at one time.  If I drink a mouthful I experience discomfort but it only lasts a short time. I just keep water with me whenever I go and I continue to sip. 

Paul C.
on 5/9/12 12:54 am - Cumming, GA
 I drink!

I have found the rate at which I can drink without discomfort.  I am able to handle 32oz in an hour if I focus.  When I am active I am able to do well over 40oz an hour.

If you look at it like this it will make sense:

Your stomach is like a small bucket with a hole in the bottom.  If you take a large bucket and dump it into the big bucket quickly the ucket will overflow.  If you pour the water in to slow the bucket will empty quickly, but you can find the rate at which you can pour water into the bucket and maintain an even flow of water going in versus water going out.

Now this isn't to say everyday it will work like this. There are days I can gulp and there are days I can barely sip but over all I can find the rate I can take in fluids without any discomfort.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 5/9/12 12:59 am

Ice cubes and sugar free popsicles helped me. 

♥Pam♥
RNY  8/16/06  Starting weight 262 / Current weight 152
ORIGINAL GOAL 160/ NEW GOAL 140