Life Insurance

PeakTek78
on 5/8/12 11:18 pm - Liverpool, NY
Hi all.  I'm 34 and prior to my weight loss as a result of RNY, there was no way I would have been able to qualify for a reasonable life insurance policy.  I had RNY just about 5 months ago and am beginning to think/shop around for life insurance.  I'm married and want to ensure my wife and I take care of each other in the event of the unforeseen.  Does anyone have any recommendations on companies they've used?  Are there certain companies that are a bit WLS-friendly compared to others?  I'm not sure if the underwriters will look at the fact that I had WLS as a long-term risk even through my health profile is substantially better than it was 6 months ago.  Any help you may be able to provide would be appreciated.   

Dave Chambers
on 5/8/12 11:44 pm - Mira Loma, CA

I've heard from multiple members of my support groups on this topic. I distinctly remember on gentlemen speaking about this. He had not been able to pass a physical due to obesity for years, and could not get insurance. He had RNY, and lost wt. He contacted his insurance agent, and sceduled another physical.  He passed the physical, so now he qualified for insurance.  Then his agent called him. He was told he could now get life insurance, but since he had RNY, his rates were DOUBLE normal rates for his age.

BTW, many companies will delay any insurance coverage on life insurance for at least 1 year or more post op.  Many health insurance companies have delays on their coverage for WLS patients too. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

MichelleNC
on 5/9/12 1:34 am
 The one year doesn't bother me I had to wait a year after childbirth to get life insurance but the double rates that makes me sick! Ugh good luck on your search I haven't tackled this one yet!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/12 10:09 pm
 If you're looking for life insurance for a minor, whole life insurance is your only option. You will find life insurance quotes online for whole life policies on children through large aggregator/broker websites that specialize in life insurance and offer free whole and term life insurance quotes. You may find it hard to insure a child with diabetes despite the fact that the insured is in fact a child because diabetes is one of those chronic conditions that typically raises a red flag on applications. Your post is unclear, is this your own son you're looking out for or your brother's? If this is your own son, the chances may be higher (and rates lower) for life insurance. 

Pat Cassidy
Disclaimer: I work for AccuQuote and this is my personal opinion.

PeakTek78
on 5/21/12 11:14 pm - Liverpool, NY
To clarify, my inquiry was regarding life insurance for myself.  I am 34 years old, post RNY, and otherwise in perfect health.  My highest weight was 402, my pre-op weight was 381, and my current weight is 294.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on obtaining life insurance -- ie, whether I should wait until I lose more weight, are there certain companies that are particularly understanding of WLS, etc.  

I don't have any children - so obtaining insurance for a minor is a non-issue.