Caloric Malabsorption

jujubee4224
on 5/13/12 8:08 am
RNY on 04/09/12
I keep hearing about caloric malasborption with RNY. I did not know that at some point it disappears. Can anyone tell me about when this happens. I want to make full use of it while it is still occurring. I am 5 weeks out.

poet_kelly
on 5/13/12 8:10 am - OH
It happens gradually, as the small intestine grows new villi to absorb calories.  It probably goes away completely by two years out, give or take a little.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jujubee4224
on 5/13/12 8:18 am
RNY on 04/09/12
Thank you Kelly. I am a nurse but most of this is very foreign to me. I am learning something new from OH and you everyday.
poet_kelly
on 5/13/12 8:31 am - OH
I wish some surgeons would do a better job of educating patients.  Mine didn't do a good job at all, I learned stuff from OH and by doing my own research.  I'm not a nurse, but my guess is that you don't learn a whole lot about bariatric surgery in nursing school, do you?  It just fascinates me how the body works, though.  Like how it realizes part of the intestine has been bypassed and starts growing extra villi in the part of the intestine that is left.  It's amazing that the body knows to do that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics