"Paying it Forward; Building Bridges for WLS Patients"

MEZ
on 5/14/12 5:31 am - Wilmington, NC
This is the topic for my support group tonight.  What the heck do you think this is about?

Trying to decide if it will be helpful since I believe we are going to have thunderstorms and it's a LOOOOONG wet walk from the hospital parking lot...

Ellen            RNY      Surgery Date: 12/6/2011
5' 5.5"          Surgery BMI 37.5        HW 254            SW 230         GW 150 - reached 11/6/12 

poet_kelly
on 5/14/12 5:43 am - OH
I'm not sure what it would be about.  maybe about developing support systems or something?  Who runs the group?  Can you call that person and ask what it's about?

I find my support group helpful whatever the topic is, though.  It's helpful to connect with other people, someone always seems to say something I can relate to, and there is time for people to bring up any issues they want to talk about even if they aren't related to the week's topic.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MEZ
on 5/14/12 5:47 am - Wilmington, NC
Normally it's the PA from the surgeon's group running it but this time she's out of town and it's the hospital's bariatric coordinator both running it and presenting. They send the topic out through an email service and you can't reply...  I normally go, but am not sure this topic is one I'm willing to walk a half mile through a storm to get to, kwim?

We generally have very poor attendance, so I do try to keep going. Usually it's mainly the pre-surgical candidates that are required to go to 2 meetings prior to scheduling surgery (amongst other requirements).

I guess I will wait and see what 5:00 p.m. brings weather-wise. I live on the other side of town so can't really go home/come back Either I commit, or don't.

5' 5.5"          Surgery BMI 37.5        HW 254            SW 230         GW 150 - reached 11/6/12 

poet_kelly
on 5/14/12 5:49 am - OH
Why do you think post ops don't keep going to the group?  I don't know if I would find a group very helpful if it was mostly pre-ops that only came a couple times.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MEZ
on 5/14/12 5:53 am - Wilmington, NC

A lot of it is that it's a big regional hospital and people that don't live here but are coming here to have surgery have to drive a long way to get here (I'm in Wilmington, NC).  And to make matters worse, there is more than one surgeon in town and each has their own group for their patients.

Why people don't keep going - the topics aren't great, they never stop/end on time, etc.  When it's a good topic, like a plastic surgeon speaking, the room is packed. But often it's "Get Motivated to Exercise!" or "This is what your portions should look like" or things like that. And because they start late/run over, most people are rushing out to get home at the end instead of sticking around and chatting.

poet_kelly
on 5/14/12 5:57 am - OH
It confuses me how some surgeons run their support groups.  I don't see how "this is what your portions should look like" is supportive.  That's educational.  We covered that in the pre-op education class with the dietician that we had to attend.  Complete with little plastic models of food to show you what the portions should look like.  It also really bugs me when things don't start and end on time.

MEZ
on 5/14/12 6:01 am - Wilmington, NC
Sing it, sister! I couldn't agree more.

gm8376
on 5/14/12 6:10 am
We have a similar setup where to qualify for surgery you need to go to two of the monthly meetings. They are frequently mostly questions that I'm shocked people don't already know the answers to if they're really considering surgery. It can be annoying.

On the other hand, they also have a smaller group that meets just before that is for 6 mo+ post ops only. That's much better.
MEZ
on 5/14/12 6:13 am - Wilmington, NC
I may suggest something like this. Sounds like a good idea.

poet_kelly
on 5/14/12 6:17 am - OH
The post op group does sound like a good idea.  While I think it's good for pre-ops to get to talk to people that have already been through surgery, and I also think we can learn things and get support from pre ops as well as other post ops, the issues those further out deal with are different than the things those getting ready to have surgery are worrying about.  If there were new pre ops at group every time, I could see how the same questions about what to expect right after surgery and stuff would be all that ever got talked about.

Most Active
Recent Topics