How To Lose 5% of your weight

sybibi17
on 5/15/12 10:55 am - Rockville, MD
Good Evening,

I am really trying to lose 5% (20lbs) of my weight before I am scheduled for my surgery, since this is a requirement for me.  It seems as if I have gained more weight.  The more I try to lose the heavier I get.  Someone please assist me on how to lose 5% (20lbs) of my weight?  I have noticed for the past few months, after my menses (period) my weight tends to increase and the pounds just stay.  Please, any suggestions would be much appreciated.
scarletsimple
on 5/15/12 11:25 am
I havent had surgery but I did do pretty well with weight loss before I fell off. If you are already doing everything I am about to say then I am sorry!

Up your water intake.
Your weight is close to mine, so up your veggies, try 8 or more servings a day.
Exercise! If you cant do a lot its okay, walk around the block, do house work, swim. etc.
Write down everything you eat, it will keep you more aware of everything you put in your mouth.

Best of luck, I am cheering for you!
Reel
on 5/15/12 12:02 pm
A way to lose 20 pounds is to remind yourself that you are taking a step that will allow you to lose many many more pounds. At my clinic, if you gain weight during the weight loss period they will temporarily drop you from the program because they feel that you are not psychologically ready. Are you psychologically ready to lose weight? If so, then follow the plan that your clinic gave you. My clinic gave me 2 shakes and one very small meal w/ no carbs a day. I bet if you start moving more and follow the pre-op weight loss plan, you will lose that 20 pounds in a hot minute. If 20 pounds is 5% of your weight, I'm going to assume that you weigh 400 pounds. If this is the case, then 20 pounds should be relatively easy for you to lose. 5 - 10 pounds of the 20 may be water weight and will come off pretty easy. 

I'm going to be honest with you. While losing my 10% I screwed up and gained weight. With only 1 week to go before my pre-op weigh in, I found myself weighing the same that I did when I first walked into the clinic. So, I reverted back to a fad diet "The Cabbage Soup Diet", and I loss all of the weight that I gained in 1 week. Go figure? . I initially followed their plan and loss the weight but like you, in my efforts to say goodbye to all the food that I would no longer be able to eat, I ended up gaining. Well come pre-op weigh in, I lost 8% of my pre-op weight and thankfully this was acceptable to my surgeon just as long as I didnt gain anymore prior to surgery. I made sure that I did not! 

Best Wishes
(deactivated member)
on 5/15/12 1:02 pm - Spokane, WA
 I have 3 Walmart weight loss shakes, two weigh****chers smart ones entrees, 5 servings of fruits/vegetables, and drink at least 64oz of water each day. I walk 3-4 times a week for 30 min and I've lost 35 lbs in 2.5 months. P.S. I cheat every now and then, but not often. You can do it too. 
BWB
on 5/15/12 1:25 pm
Totally eliminate bread, pasta, fried everything, carbonated beverages, caffeine, go easy on fruits and juices. Everything loaded with sugar, of course, ask your doctor for his recommended list of food items that you need to eat or not eat. My diet was a liver reduction diet. It helped me lose 35 lbs pre-surgery. I was on it for 4 1/2 months.
It is important to drink a lot and it will help fill your stomach so you don't feel so hungry. Yes, you can do it but it does take committment.

Cherokeesage
on 5/15/12 1:41 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
Cut out the whites (flour, sugar, rice, pasta).  Fill up on salads with lean meat.  Use only a small amount spritzer salad dressing if you have to have it to eat the salad.  Use a variety of lettuce and veggies but leave off all the extra goodies like nuts, seeds, cheese, etc.  Drink a lot of water.  Try to eliminate caffeine since it increases appetite.  Walk or exercise as much as you can.  Walk 2 miles a day if possible. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 172 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 251 views