Post op what are you eating???

aidenswings
on 5/23/12 1:36 am
Hello all! I am 2  1/2 yrs post op and struggling with regain of over 40lbs! I know of what I should and shouldn't be eating, but curious as to what has worked for others post op? Can anyone give me a sample of what a day menu might look like? I work full time so I am trying to figure out how to mix in good foods and such into my day but not have stuff I need to prepare too much at work. Also a single mom so I am looking for easy dishes. Anyone mind sharing? I do not like yogurt at all, but do liek oatmeal, eggs, milk,etc. LOVE fruit and some veggies too. I drink a cup of coffee in the morning and packet of oatmeal. Any suggestions? Thanks alot! Oh and I do take many vitamins. I take 2 adult chewables, a b 12 lozenge, chewable D and calcium along with digestive enzymes. I don't mind protein shakes but I need to find a way to have real food also. I had Roux-en-y  7/2009. Thanks!
manda2108
on 5/23/12 1:55 am
 I'm still shy of 5 months out but there are a few great websites with recipes..many of which would probably yeild enough for dinner and then leftovers for you to take for lunch. The eggface site has recipes for mini muffins that have good stats and can be taken on the go. 

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/ and theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ 

Personally..I have a protein hot chocolate for breakfast most days. I love having tuna salad for lunch..I just started having a slice of whole grain bread with it. I do 96% lean beef meatloaf for dinner or turkey tacos(no shell/tortilla for me right now). 

More importantly for me is that I have to track everything I put in my mouth..I use myfitnesspal.com to track it all. If you have a myfitnesspal account add me..I'm manda91003 over there. 

Good luck!!

poet_kelly
on 5/23/12 2:01 am - OH
I eat about 1500 calories a day.  I eat about a cup of food at a time and eat about six times a day.  A typical day goes something like this:

Breakfast - protein bar or shake
Lunch - big salad, vegetarian chili, leftovers from dinner last night, maybe just Greek yogurt
Snack - Greek yogurt, maybe fruit, or cheese
Dinner - vegetarian chili, some sort of beans, veggie burger
Snack - Greek yogurt, leftovers from dinner, popcorn
Snack - protein bar or shake

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

STAROFEGYPT101
on 5/23/12 2:08 am - NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
Shakes at this point may not keep you full I was reading that liquads go right through the pouch to essantially I do not think it is going to kee you full, meaning protien shakes. I lnow work fulltime and have a twp year old and I will eat egg whites, Low fat cheese slice, turkey bacon two slices and wheat bread try to look for wheat bread with high fiber and protien. I generally eat a packet of oatmenal as a snack. Plan oatmeal with a packet or two of splenda I find it more filling than eating meanless things like 100 calorie snacks. If you do not have time make oatmeal in morning make it the  night before and when reheating add a little water to loosen back up. I know what to do just do not do it and am here to give and gain support.
BWB
on 5/23/12 2:34 am
 Breakfast:  1. 1/2 serving of oatmeal w/blueberries.  I add protein powder with a little almond milk.  I experimented with cooking the old fashioned oats in a 1 or 2 serving portion and refrigerating the extra for use the next day or two and it works fine.  I have to reheat it and add the protein and fruit then.
2. egg /with one slice of bacon or sausage (small amt. but flattened ) on a small heated tortilla and melted cheese.  This really keeps me going for a long time.  
3.  If we have B&B guests I serve a frittata with mushrooms, onions, herbs, red sweet peppers, asparagus and cheese.  If they eat meat then I add sausage or bacon.  I will eat a small portion and it holds me for hours.  It is so delicious!!

Lunch:  Usually a left over roast beef, salmon, tuna salad, or soup. What ever is taking up space in the refrig.   Today I had no breakfast so I sliced left over steak, blue cheese, small amt of cream cheese on a tortilla shell for lunch.  

Dinner:  Roasted chicken, pork roast, grilled flat iron steak, fish, a soup with veggies.  My husband likes a curried rice side dish with lots of goodies (cheeses, herbs, veggies, chips of ham, onions, etc) added. I like salads with meat, citrus fruit, cheese, egg, almonds and a lemon flavored sweet/sour dressing.  Now tha****ermelon is in season, I have a small serving as dessert. 

Following a good, nutritional meal plan means planning ahead and having a good selection of main course meats on hand or else we will eat out and that is my downfall.  

Dee.spunk
on 5/23/12 3:07 am - Sacramento, CA
My meals look like this today
B- tuna salad
L- beans and cheese
D- grilled chicken breast
S- baby carrots, protein bar, or jerky

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

hedrider
on 5/23/12 5:53 am - Midlothian, TX
What does a day look like for you?  What are your calorie counts?  Are you drinking while eating?  What are your workouts like?

There are sooo many variables.

For me, I work out multiple days a week.  I do yoga 4 times a week and AIM for a 3 mile run twice a week.

Meals are pretty repetetive, and I try to stay protein forward but sometimes yummy things win out.  I abstain from added sugars and high fat foods.  I *TRY* to limit carbs and abstain from pastas, rices, etc completely but sometimes crusty bread or crackers win me over.  I try to keep calories around 1800 to maintain, and protein ABOVE 120.

For the most part:

B - 5 oz 0% Fage yogurt, 1.5 oz strawberries (or my fave - frozen cherries), splenda, 0.5 oz Special K protein cereal and 2 tbsp ground flax.

16 oz ecaf coffee with splenda a 3 tsp ff nd creamer.

Minimum 48 oz water before lunch.

L - is usually 3 oz protein (chicken breast usually, or 5 oz light fish), and a veggie side.  Frequently it's black beans, squash or brussell sprouts.  A cheese stick if needed, or an applesauce.

Minimum 48 oz water between lunch and leaving work.

I have a 1 1/2 scoop protein shak around 3-4ish.

I usually have a diet Lipton tea or a diet Snapple Half n' Half (lemonaide tea) before leaving work.

D - Same as lunch, a portion of lean protein and a veggie side.  When I'm not feeling like eating I just have a tomato, cucumber, avocado salad with a sprinkle of ranch.

I'll have a snack either a few hours before or after dinner depending on what time I eat.  Usually a sf fudgecicle or something like that.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
Recent Topics