AM I Overdoing It?

heatherambrosia
on 5/24/12 10:38 am - GA
I've always been a hot and cold gym rat. It's a love hate relationship and when I love it, I go hard. I had surgery last July, so I'm not especially a newbie.

I've been doing a couch to 5k training that is 3 times a week of 5 mins walking, a walk/job combo for 20 or 25 minutes and then 5 mins walking again. Then I do weight lifting one day a week, aquafit at lunch one day a week and Zumba 2 or 3 times a week.

Even on days where I do two-a-days, it's about 7 hours in between or more and a total of an hour 1/2.

So, am I over doing it? My hubby thinks I am, but I feel great and I'm listening to my body.

SW 343, Current below, Goal 160 & to start a family!11978920
poet_kelly
on 5/24/12 10:39 am - OH
What does he mean when he says you are overdoing it?  Does he mean you're hurting yourself by doing too much?  Or you're neglecting other responsibilities by spending too much time at the gym?  Or what?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

donitta
on 5/24/12 10:41 am - OR
RNY on 05/15/12
Wow! I'm impressed. I would think that as long as you were getting in the calories and nutrients to support this you'd be fine. I wish I could get into activities like that, but than I'd give my hubby a heart attack.
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/12 11:18 am - waukesha, WI
I don't think you are over doing it.  I would add an additional weight lifting.  One may not be doing anythink for you.  Most trainer would say 3 times but know less than 2 times a week. 
chowell
on 5/24/12 11:33 am - marietta, GA
RNY on 10/04/12
As long as you are listening to your body and your hubby is just worried about that then i dont see a problem. but be safe and keep up the good work
MichelleNC
on 5/24/12 11:37 am
 I don't think your overdoing it. I agree I would do 3 weight training sessions a week M W F.

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

NCwarriorchick
on 5/24/12 4:48 pm
I don't think you are. You have to make sure you eat enough. I do weight training MWF. I run TUes Thurs and Sun all this in the morning. Then 3-4 times a week I do some sort of cardio in the afternoon like bike or elliptical.

heatherambrosia
on 5/24/12 10:18 pm - GA
Thanks for the advice!

Kelly, I think he's worried I'll injure myself, and I'm definitely being cautious of that. That's the last thing I need. And I agree that a few more days of weights would help. I have resistance bands that I'm going to start doing before my AM runs, I think.

The hubs is a runner and and has had minor injuries before from "overuse" so I think he's just a little leary.

Thanks again guys!
Amy D.
on 5/24/12 10:34 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
I think most likely your husband is just concerned about injuries. As long as you are eating right and taking care not to injure yourself, I think you'll be fine.

That said, I have noticed that people are constantly worried that I'm "doing too much." These same people are not at all worried that my naturally thin mother does aerobics every morning, jogs 6 miles at noon, and then walks about 5 miles every night in addition to weight training every other day and even more walking on weekends. I think a lot of people have this perception that overweight people or formerly overweight people are just not healthy enough to exercise a lot. But if your doctor is fine with it, then that's really the only opinion you need--as well as listening to your body!

I say keep up the good work!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
heatherambrosia
on 5/24/12 10:56 pm - GA
I think you're absolutely right, Amy! I appreciate that my family knows what my limits used to be, but like everyone has said... if I feel good and I'm giving my body what it needs to push this hard and I'm pain and injury free.. I'm going for it!

Keep up the good work to you too! :)
Most Active
Recent Topics