CHEATING ON MYSELF...

Alicia F.
on 5/26/12 3:29 pm
RNY on 04/16/12
I eat chocolate.... BUTTTT... its my calcium ..... Vitamin Shoppe sells 500mg Calcium Citrate in little dark chocolate discs....  Its called Sinful .... (something).....  2 g of sugar 

Tastes good plus I get my 500mg of Citrate in.....  might want to try that out if you 'need' chocolate....

Sara O.
on 5/26/12 10:29 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12
I eat chocolate on occassion. I buy the sugar-free fun-sized Hershey bars. Very little calories and tasty. yummy. :)
Laura in Texas
on 5/26/12 10:37 pm
Like others have mentioned, it can be a slippery slope. For the first year I definitely avoided all sweets because for me, I knew they would lead to a problem. I learned healthy habits, got to goal, and have stayed here. Remember, you can pretty much eat anything the first 6 months or so and still lose. The surgery is doing all the work. The further out you get, this is not the case.

I went to a nutritionist friend of mine's house yesterday (she works in the bariatric field) and she told me I was definitely an exception to the rule. Most RNYers she has worked with over the years have had a ton of regain to the point that she does not recommend RNY. I think it's the fact that I was so diligent the first year and still follow the rules 90% of the time that has kept me successful.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

thefrostedside
on 5/27/12 1:44 am - Canada
I am about as far out as you are...I eat chocolate...BUT...I eat one sugar free chocolate from Russell Stovers...I buy the individually wrapped ones (seems to help my head...I would feel like I was overdoing it if I had to open a second one) the french mint are awesome if you put them in the freezer and it takes quite a bit to melt them in your mouth to consume.  I have tried the english toffee ones too and honestly find them too sweet and can only eat about half of one.  I figure denying myself things I enjoy led to me "falling off the wagon" on every diet I have been on...this is supposed to be a lifestyle change...I would rather teach myself from the beginning (when I can only stomach 1 lol) that chocolate in small portions is ok than to go a long time without it and binge when I think I can...I have totally done this on "diets" in the past.

It's all about relearning how to eat...at least that's the way I explain it to my kids...like I have a totally new digestive system...would I give my 16 month old a whole chocolate bar?  Absolutely not...her tummy can't handle it...would I give her a bite?  Once in a while sure...same goes for Gladys (my pouch lol).  This logic seems to have helped both my children and myself understand this process.  If you think about it the progression from full fluids to purees to soft solids to solids is identical to what we do with babies (granted our progression is faster, but still) even down to the "introduce 1 food at a time"...there is nothing wrong with teaching your pouch to enjoy a treat...as long as it stays a treat and doesn't become an overindulgence.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views