How do you treat your low blood sugar

RainDiva
on 6/3/12 3:07 am
I just experiences my first low blood sugar spell since having RNY in Oct 2011.

Need tips on what food you eat to bring it back to normal. I know what I did prior to sugar (eat bad food just to get rid of the low blood sugar feeling) but now after surgery I am not able to get more then 15g of sugar in one serving or I will dump.

I guess I need to know what food brings your sugar back to normal quick

M M
on 6/3/12 3:10 am
Glucose immediately (get at WalMart, CVS... Walgreens...) - tablets - then follow up with a small protein/fat/carb snack - test blood sugar to ensure it's risen and you're good.

www.meltingmama.net/wls/hyper_hypoglycemia/
MeganGish
on 6/3/12 3:13 am - Ashland, KY
 I carry around protein bars just in case my bs drops which it has been.  

Ladytazz
on 6/3/12 3:37 am
Same here.  I carry around gluten free, sugar free protein bars or if I am at home I have gluten free crackers with peanut butter.  In a pinch I have even had a sugar free coffee drink from Dutch Bros. with lots of milk.  It seems for me that the combination of carbs and protein helps.  Another time I had a few bites of a banana and a slice of cheese.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Paul C.
on 6/3/12 3:38 am - Cumming, GA
With all the running and cycling I do my treatment for this is kind of unconventional.

I always have energy gels on hand and will take one and follow it up with a good protein source. These episodes totally kick my ass though, I usually end up falling asleep within an hour of the event.

So a glucose as MM said would be ideal.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
(deactivated member)
on 6/3/12 4:28 am - waukesha, WI
Glucose tabs (2 equals 8grams of sugar)  if it is slightly low or if it is really low a glass of juice.  I not to sure if your blood sugar is super low like 30 if you will dump on a glass of juice.  I figure dumping is better than a coma.  I have never dumped while fixing a low blood sugar.  I than eat protein................nuts usually because I don't want to do protein bars ........to many calories and carbs for me and not enough volumn of food.  Sometimes, I will do a greek yogurt with berries and stevia. 
poet_kelly
on 6/3/12 4:53 am - OH
I eat something with s small amount of sugar and some protein.  Like a protein bar with 12 grams of sugar, something like that.  Also, eating small amounts frequently and avoiding eating foods high in carbs without protein helps prevent the low sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lady Lithia
on 6/3/12 5:05 am
I dump and I have reactive hypoglycemia. MY plan for success is to keep all meals below 25 grams of carbs (and I consider ALL carbs, includin fiber) and my sugars in the single digits. I have glucose tabs for if my sugar drops, and I have peanut butter cheese crackers. They help me to stabilize.

I was having issues until I decided to change my snacks from carby to fatty.... My weight is a bit of an issue now, as I try to balance everything, but since my weight is literally fluctuating wildly (7 pound weight swings on either side of my baseline overnight), I'm not sure if I'm really dealing with weight so much as water retention and other issues. But so long as I follow the cardinal CARB rules per meal, I do okay.

When I crash, I eat whatever I can to get me up as fast as possible. Dumping is a lot less yucky than low blood sugar and generally I don't have issues with dumping if I'm comingout of a crash. But if I have a carbier meal, I have to make sure I have plenty of fats and proteins. It's the only way!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

terilynn112
on 6/3/12 5:20 am - maryland, NY
I have reactive hypoglycemia, and I monitor my carbs. IF I eat more carbs I'm more likely to drop my sugar. I've gone as low as 31 (while driving). I eat peanut butter and bread, once slice.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/3/12 6:06 am - OH
I eat something with a combination of carbs and protein.  Drinking a half glass of milk helps quickly since it is liquid and can get to your intestines more quickly than any solid food.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views