Will I be able to drive my self home from hospital?

marty69
on 6/4/12 3:01 am - MO
RNY on 06/06/12
I just realized i don't if i can drive my self home after my surgury? What were you all able to do?

May We All be Blessed and Valued 

marty

paranoidmother21
on 6/4/12 3:04 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Certainly not drive! See if a friend can pick you up, or call a taxi. Seriously, you will have been under some kind of anesthesia, and you need to let all of that out of your system before you attempt to drive. That's the rule I've heard from every surgeon of every kind - even when they just took a hunk out of DH's back under twilight anesthesia.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

poet_kelly
on 6/4/12 3:05 am - OH
No, you won't be able to.  You'll be on pain medication and they won't release you without a driver.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

marty69
on 6/4/12 3:08 am - MO
RNY on 06/06/12
I thought so but cant remember what the doctors office said.( i was still in shock from being told to start my liquids that day and that I was having surgury in 12 days. haha.) Thank you for clearing that up.
how long after you were released were you aloud to drive. it's been so long sence i had any thing done i cant remember the rules. but i am sure they will telllme before i get to come home.
thanks again

May We All be Blessed and Valued 

marty

poet_kelly
on 6/4/12 3:11 am - OH
Most docs say as soon as you have been free of pain meds for 24 hours or so.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

marioluigi
on 6/4/12 3:14 am
 I had my surgery on a Monday and went home Wednesday.  I was told that I could drive when I was off pain meds.  I didn't need any pain meds when I got home so I drove to the store on Friday.  I just felt like walking around and just bought some bread (for my family, not me).  I didn't have to go but felt so sick of being a patient that driving to the store made me feel like a start of returning to normal. Results may not be typical.
Cheryl N.
on 6/4/12 3:17 am - Des Moines, WA
My surgeon and team do not allow you to drive home, not even public transportation including taxis or buses. 

I had surgery on Monday, home Weds and drove on Friday.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

dsh4dst
on 6/4/12 3:20 am - North Texas, TX
RNY on 05/08/12
I waited a week out. You have to be careful with your stitches. Also when driving, the twisting qnd turning can be a bit rough on your stomach muscles.
PMarie
on 6/4/12 3:30 am - Bloomington, MN
 You must be off of narcotic pain meds before driving, and my doctor's advice was to test in a parking long- can you SLAM on the brakes without causing pain?  if not, wait to drive.  

I was able to take a taxi home after my recent hernia repair (inpatient overnight) , but they had to know that there would be a 'responsible' adult at home. Generally, if you are going home after same day surgery, you must have someone accompany you- not a taxi. 

Sara O.
on 6/4/12 3:43 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12
I was told not to drive for at least the first week after surgery. They won't even discharge you without someone there to drive you home. I remember a nurse waiting outside with me while my mom drove the car around to us. She was determined to make sure someone else was driving me. lol