Vacationing with non-WLS eaters sucks!

kathyshrinks
on 6/5/12 2:18 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
I am cooped up in rainy weather with 7 people (Mom, husband, sister, brother, sis-in-law and 2 nephews) who are vacationing they way I used to (with unhealthy food and constant grazing).  At least this morning they did not get out the waffle maker for a 2-hour waffle marathon as everyone rolls out of bed.  Torture! They don't really eat that badly (well, except my mother, and I already live with that), it's just with so many people, the eating seems to be constant.  And it's my first post-surgery vacation, so a lot of it has to do with ME and my old habits with food.  My family tries to be very considerate, but I honestly don't expect them to put their kids in front of a campfire and tell them we can't have s'mores.

Anyhoo, I have lots of food to eat, including a couple of SF treats (I don't dump on sugar alcohols, thank goodness), and I have made sure that dinner each night is something that I can eat with everyone.  And I brought books to read, and a hat to trim for a costume I am making, plus there is a hot tub I can hop into for some relaxation. 

I just wanted to rant to some people who could relate. 

oxfordcat
on 6/5/12 2:29 am - NJ
That is difficult, and i am sorry.   HOw far out are you?  there are some good protein waffle recipes or made with almond meal and coconut flour so you can enjoy that.  When i am with people, i try to make my little plates very appealing to the eye.  others get jealous.  Works for me...   So let them graze on crap, you make yourself some pretty plates with cheese, fruit, nuts.  Or a yummy yogurt.  Drink your water in pretty glasses.  It is about eating with your eyes too.  

Have you tried some roasted edamame or chick peas to snack on while they have chips?  Slow down, enjoy what you can have.  You can do it.  Good luck.
"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same". Elphaba    
d_mac682
on 6/5/12 2:32 am - Gilbert, AZ
RNY on 04/26/12
I had the same kind of situation last week when I went on a company retreat. Took a 3 day bus tour through a few cities looking at various things along the way. 35 co-workers on a bus, and just me dealing with how to eat while on a bus and at the planned stops. I made it through by bringing my own snacks and liquids. That was the hardest trip I have taken yet.

jewel-twin
on 6/5/12 2:35 am - Canada
I can't relate YET but I can't wait until I can relate.  My family is all about food... My "problems" don't have any background like a lot of people have... I know it is just that all the wrong foods were always present through my life... a home cooked meal was always carbs... my mom is a carb aholic... I honestly dont know how she goes through so much bread!  Love her to death but when she comes to my house we buy like 7 loaves a week... I have two kids who take lunches to school every day and on a normal week we go through maybe 2 loafs???   

At my grandpartents house (Yes I am still LUCKY enough to have both my grandparents still) all socializing is done at the table... and there is ALWAYS something to eat on the table...

I HONESTLY can not wait to be the one watching everyone else mow down and not participating.  (I MAY eat my words eventually) but it seems like a good place to be, on the outside looking in and having the tool, the ability, to watch and not participate!

Your doing awesome!  :)

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

chatterpam
on 6/5/12 4:25 am - PA
That works at the beginning... not being "able" to eat those things because the pouch won't tolerate it... but, when you are a year out - like I am it can be torture because I "can" eat them... I have to choose not to.  I haven't done so well in the "willpower" department in the past, hence the surgery.  I just try to remember what they taught me in the classes and do my best to make good choices.

Jennifer M.
on 6/5/12 2:47 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 It seems like everyone is about the food, especially to those of us who are physically unable to be about the food any more.  

Remember when you could eat all you wanted?  Now, I'm so disappointed when I can't finish that delicious dinner at the restaurant, and have dessert!  How about when you came home from the grocery store, and you could sample all kinds of the goodies you bought?  Now, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to try one thing.

And it seems like when you go to someone's house, everyone is all about trying to get you to break your diet.   

It's painful!  I feel for you!

wendygail
on 6/5/12 3:53 am - Live Oak, FL
Been there, done that For me, it use to whiz me off big time that my family wouldn't give a flip about what "I" was feelig, at the time. Or that there was no food there that I could eat.
A few back handed remarks would be made, or they would ask me if I wanted something loaded with sugar, (yes, I "dump") or something they knew I couldn't keep down. I stared to over look their stupidity (that might be to strong of a word). When we go on vacations, or up to see my parents in N. Georgia, or family get togethers, I make sure there is something that I can have.
It does get frustrating at times, but I have to look out for me.
 It's a great day to be alive.        
Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/5/12 4:50 am - Baltimore, MD
Sounds like you're coping. Kudos!

But yeah...they just don't understand...
mpjones
on 6/5/12 5:17 am
I'm pre-surgery but that's something I really worry about. Family get togethers always seem to be more about the food than the actual getting together. I've been gleaning a lot of information here on how to avoid the "poor me" syndrome  for which I'm very thankful. I'm really trying to get my head in the right place before surgery.
Chihuahuan
on 6/5/12 10:38 am - New York, NY
RNY on 05/16/12
 Even if they had WLS before it still can be challenging.  I just returned from a trip to NY with a friend who is 2 years out from his RNY.  He was eating, drinking, and make-merrying as he was on vacation but it made me feel like a venereal disease in the middle of his food orgy.   I just finally had to put my foot down about some of the choices and had to politely refuse his offers of offending items that I knew I could not have.  Life is full of these challenges it seems.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 162 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views