Major slow down with weightloss

Bonnie_wbm
on 6/5/12 10:10 pm - FL
I reached my goal of 100 pounds lost at my 6 month check-up. I was very excited. This day was March 28, 2012. It is June 6, 2012 and I have only lost 8 pounds since then. I have not done anything different than I was doing before. I have even begun to increase my protein shakes. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Is this a normal thing to happen because I ddi not even lose a pound in April, just sat there. I was in the hospital for a while because I had diverticulitis. I found out that one of the vitamins that I was taking was in geltab form and it was small but apparently not small enough, the tabs were not disolving and they began to build into my intestines. It created a seperation in the wall of my intestines therefore resulting in diverticulitis flare up. I was in the hospital for 6 days and they all came out. It was over 50 of them. I am working very hard at not getting depressed with all of this. I am so close to weighing under 200 pounds that it is driving me crazy. The weight was coming off little by little but it was coming off and now such a slow down that I feel like crying and crying. I did start drinking coffee again, could this effect anything? I watch all my sugar counts and do not go over 7 to 8 grams with anything. I use more cream but only a teaspoon of sugar. I drink tea with only a teaspoon of sugar but most of the time it is unsweet. Please if anyone has any suggestions or ideas on what I can do? I know that I need to workout more than I do and maybe that is the stall? I have not had anytime to go to the gym in about a month because of my work schedule changing at work. Friends of WLS PLEASE HELP!

SW 330 GW 135 CW 241    
tulips52
on 6/5/12 10:22 pm
 I am right there with you. I had a stall for a little over 6 wks, dropped 4lbs and nothing since. (It's been a few weeks) I've  been afraid that this is it for me. I have increased my activity level and exercise endurance and time. I tried upping my calories and saw an instant gain. I increased water and protein and see no difference yet. I'm at the lower calorie range so I am going to hang on the hope that weight loss will begin again sometime soon. Sorry I could not be of any help but wanted you to know you are not alone...we have similar stats. 

gbsinsatx
on 6/5/12 10:43 pm - San Antonio, TX
  • These are the rules I followed/follow: 
  •  
  • *Drink 64 ounces Liquids daily (drink up to a meal, wait 60 minutes after a meal) (I add 2 packets sugar free drink mix and 1 teaspoon Benefiber to 2-32 ounce water containers)
  • *Must eat at least 60 grams of Protein a day (100 or more grams beginning at 1200 calories a day)
  • *Eat no fat/lowfat dairy products
  • *Eat simple (fruit) and complex (vegetables, whole grains) Carbohydrates (I do not count daily grams)
  • *No more than 15 grams of Sugar per meal (more grams if able to tolerate-I allow myself no more than a maximum of 30 grams Sugar per meal from Simple and Complex Carbohydrate sources because I do not seem to dump on Sugar)
  • *Eat 3 main meals (B, L, D) no further than 5-6 hours apart
  • *Eat 1 protein snack at 1200 calories a day at least 2-3 hours from breakfast
  • *Eat 2-3 protein snacks at Maintenance calories a day at least 2-3 hours from B, L, D
  • *3-6 Months After Surgery: I ate 600-700 calories a day
  • *6-9 Months After Surgery: I ate 800-900 calories a day
  • *9-12 Months After Surgery: I ate 1000 calories a day
  • *12-18 Months After Surgery: eat 1200 calories a day (I ate 1200 calories a day until 15 months when I reached my goal weight)
  • *18 Months after surgery (or when goal weight is reached before 18 months): Maintenance calories (BMR/RMR & Activity Level) (Malabsorption of calories lasts approximately 18-24 months) (I eat 1700-1800 calories a day to maintain my weight loss of 200 pounds at a weight of 131 pounds. My height is 5'4")
  • I do not participate in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis. I do move around a lot more and do a lot more walking.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Laura in Texas
on 6/5/12 10:43 pm
Are you tracking your food? Every bite? I bet it is just your body slowing down the loss, which is common. I'd be careful with the sugar intake. Caffeine can cause cravings. And get back into the exercise routine. As my surgeon says, you can lose weight with the surgery alone, but to keep it off you must exercise.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Dave Chambers
on 6/6/12 1:46 am - Mira Loma, CA
"If you bite it, write it", ie, journal all food intake. 6 mo. is the honeymoon period, where wt loss is at it's easiest.  Use Stevia instead of regular sugar.  As you lose wt, you need to exericse MORE to burn the same amount of calories.  Find a support group to attend, as this will likely help.  Wt loss surgery offers a tool towards wt loss, but is not the only reason you'll lose wt. Behavior modification is primary in this process.  Your issue with capsules is unlikely to happen with most post ops--but I did hear of the potential issue during classes prior to my RNY.  BTW, it took me 24 months to get to my lowest wt, so it can be done. Not everyone reaches a "set goal wt", just do the best you can and be thankful you're health will be better.  Good luck. DAVFE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/6/12 4:31 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Fifty geltabs! That's shocking!

Your average weight loss rate is very good. You lost 100 pounds in six months! That's very fast. With this stall or slowdown, your average reaches a more normal range. 

Could be that the hospitalization and associated physical and emotional distress has put your body into defensive mode. Let yourself heal; let your body achieve health at its own pace. You're only through losing weight if you end your healthful practices.

Congratulations on your tremendous weight loss.