making omletes help please...

grmadeb01
on 6/9/12 3:01 am - FL
my hubby loves omelettes...i CAN'T make them.....in our 28 years of marriage i have alsways suggested we go out for breakfast when he wants omeletes.....

when i have tried, they either don't get done on the top and stay wet and such or i really try to get them done on the top and they get kinda burnt or hard on the bottom....

i have no idea how they get them so puffy and fluffy in the restuarants..perhaps they are not using real eggs.. lol lol...
i usually use 3-4 eggs and add just a tad bit of water and use a whisk...pour into pan and move it around to get it nice and thin, but  i just cant seem to get it done on the top part....i usualy end up having to zap it in the microwave to just make sure it gets done in the middle after i add the fixings...
thanks for any suggestions
debby
laura_vermont
on 6/9/12 3:19 am
 I can't get it like restaurants either.  So, I essentially cheat.  I cook the egg on both sides, add the fillings & cheese, remove from heat & cover until the cheese melts.  

I know that this is not THE way you're supposed to do it... but runny eggs 
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

courtwillbehealthy
on 6/9/12 3:32 am - burlington, VT
 they have special pans Made for omlets and there pretty cheap. :) they seal shut and you cook them on both sides by simply flipping the pan! hehe im cheating secret to perfect omlets :3 hehe 
littleskie
on 6/9/12 4:06 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
Some flip them in the pan so the wet side ends up on the bottom to finish cooking. You can slide it onto a plate then place pan over plate and invert.

You can also place skillet under the broiler in your oven to finish the top off. Thats what most restaurants do.

If they are going to fold the omelet they usually leave it kinda wet so the eggs will fold and not break. The wet part will usually end up inside where the cheese is, so most people will not be able to tell slightly wet egg from gooey melty cheese.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

soozieq
on 6/9/12 4:26 am
I just made omelets for my family this morning.

For a normal person (who can actually eat more than we can! lol), I separate 2 eggs.  I whisk the egg whites vigorously until they're light and fluffy (soft peaks).  Add 1/2 Tbsp water and keep whisking.  Season with some salt and pepper and add the yolks to the bowl.  Mix together, but don't overmix as it will deflate the whites too much.

I have a crepe pan that works great because the sides are low and it's easy to flip the egg.  Spray the pan with PAM and pour in your egg.  Cook over medium low (don't cook on too high a temp because it will burn and dry out your eggs and it won't cook through properly.).  When the bottom is lightly golden, carefully flip the egg over.  Put your fillings on one half of the omelet.  Remove the pan from the burner.  The heat from the pan will finish cooking your omelet through.  Fold the omelet in half and serve.
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
JUSTJUNQUIES
on 6/9/12 4:45 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
check out you tube, I learned most put in a bit of ice gold water , cook till bubbles, break bubbles , turn down heat.
I did an omelet bar to christen our new outdoor kitchen, had two pans going at once , and everyone picked out what they wanted in it and brought it to me in a bowl, as I was s-l-o-w-l-e-y cooking the eggs, worked out great except I was the busy one and we all didn't get to eat at the same time.
Many verities on you tube 

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

brenlee1965
on 6/9/12 4:46 am - New Berlin, NY
If you want them really fluffy; separate the yolk from the white & whisk the white til really foamy. Add the yolk.

Make sure your pan is hot....on Med to med low heat; put mixture in pan. Leave it alone & let it cook. If you are adding things too it. Only add on one side and flip the just egg side over when it appears like it's not all runny.

If you added cheese you could wait til that melts a bit. Then flip the egg part over.

I never time anything; but don't let it burn. Pick up a corner with the spat to check.

Good luck
Bren
 Bren                
Tim T.
on 6/9/12 5:16 am - Eastham, MA
If he likes omelets you might try a fritatta. I make them on the weekends and it's a great way to use leftovers in the fridge Here goes:
Take leftover meat, veg, pasta, or chop fresh into bite size cubes. Put a little of everything in the bottom of a skillet pan .Use spray cooking oil and coat the bottom of the pan. Use a skillet that has a metal handle or one that won't melt under the broiler. Saute' on high heat, season as desired. Turn your oven broiler on high while you are using the cooktop. When the ingredients are getting cooked, use egg beaters and pour over the stuff in the pan until half covered. Top with shredded cheese or feta or whatever else you have kicking around. When the edges of the egg look like they're getting cooked, throw the whole thing under the broiler and keep checking it until the cheese is melted and getting brown. Remove and let sit for a few minutes. Cut into pie wedges with a spatula. Serve. Enjoy!

artroxy blue
on 6/9/12 5:17 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I use a non-stick pan and spray it with Pam. You could also add a little milk to your eggs to make them a little fluffier, and whisk well. Once you pour it in the pan, take silicone spatula and run it along the edges, lifting them so the raw egg on top can run into the pan. Once the top looks like it's almost set, I flip the omelette over. It make take a while to get the hang of it. LOL Then I let it cook for another minute and serve. Usually I'll cook my filling ingredients first then add the eggs, minus any cheese. Cheese gets added last. 

If all else fails, make frittatas--pour and bake! Good luck! 
hedrider
on 6/9/12 6:39 am - Midlothian, TX
 IHOP uses pancake batter in their omelets to get them so fluffy.  All omelets I've made with real eggs are not like that at all.  I add milk to my eggs and that helps.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.