Standing up for myself!

kathyshrinks
on 6/14/12 2:58 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
We are having a goodie day today at work (I brought SF cake), and someone had the bright idea to move the goodie table to the empty workstation next to mine.  I asked them to move it back to the empty area at the end of the row.  I did it with humor by telling them I felt like an alcoholic at a bar, but I backed it up with action by carrying the donuts back to the old goodie table myself.  the others then pitched in, and I am a happy camper.  It felt so good not to be ashamed of my issues with food!  I just told it like it was, and did it with the expectation that they would understand, but with the confidence that I would be okay whether they understood or not.

This is such a big milestone for me in dealing with my food addiction - bringing it out of the closet. 

poisonivy
on 6/14/12 3:01 am - lancaster, SC
 thats awesome.    good job!

soozieq
on 6/14/12 3:02 am
That is awesome.  Way to go!
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
hedrider
on 6/14/12 3:10 am - Midlothian, TX
 Rock on!
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Lisa S.
on 6/14/12 3:22 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
You go girl!!!!

kathyshrinks
on 6/14/12 3:23 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
Oh, and a review on the Pillsbury SF cake mix (I am only having a small square - 1" by 2" - because it is still a lot of carbs for me, but at least I can eat it without getting sick):

I mixed up the batter (yellow cake), and it had a funny taste, so I added 1/2 cup FF Greek yogurt and some Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice - I don't know how much, 2 big squirts.  Then I melted about 1/2 the can of the Pillsbury SF Vanilla Frosting, and I mixed in 4 packets of True Lime powder and drizzled it over the warm cake.  The frosting has a stronger off-taste than the cake mix, but the cake is very moist, and you could skip the frosting altogether if you can't find a way to mask the weird taste.  My lime powder didn't quite do the job on the frosting, but it's still okay.  The cake turned out absolutely yummy!

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/14/12 3:23 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Perfect example of being assertive and owning your life. Good for you for using a good-humored approach!

Bebhihn
on 6/14/12 3:34 am - IA
  Awesome!
Just When The Caterpillar Thought The World Was Over, She Became A Butterfly. 

--Proverb

shellbell75
on 6/14/12 4:23 am
If anything I have realized for myself there are times to keep quiet and time you need to speak up and look out for youself. Good job on speaking up for yourself. Some people wouldn't have that in them and be tortured all day. Good for you!!
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

poet_kelly
on 6/14/12 5:13 am - OH
Good for you!  Having some issues with food is nothing to be ashamed of and you're certainly not alone.  And hey, when we are really overweight, don't you figure people already realize we might have some food issues?  I don't think it's a  secret!

I think having both the expectation that they will understand and the confidence that you'll be OK whether they do or not is really important.  I think many times our attitude has a huge impact on how people respond to us.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 77 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 299 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 260 views