Food is no fun anymore

Christy L.
on 6/16/12 2:50 am - TN
I guess the last few days I'm just really 'grieving' my food.  I'm tired of eating the same ole things, tuna, peanut butter, protein drinks, etc.  When it was dinner time yesterday, I thought...I miss food being fun! 

Food is such a big part of everything and I miss getting to participate fully in birthdays, family functions, etc.  I know this too shall pass, but I'm just really ticked off about it right now.  I know the end result is worth it, but I just needed to vent for a minute.  It isn't helping that I've been 'stuck' at the same weight since last week.  Ugh.

Lady Lithia
on 6/16/12 2:57 am
I went through this too. Realizing that my relationship with food had changed forever. I would never EVER have the same relatiionship.

What I later realized was that I ditched a toxic relationship and replaced it with a seriously awesome relationship. Yes, some things are on my forbidden list (mostly because they make me ill) but the majority of High-Quality Exceptional foods are still okay in small quantities. So my relationship with food went from "trailer trash" to "gourmet"... I enjoy small bites of exquisite foods instead of large quantities of sheer junk.

There is something liberating in kicking out the garbage and while not a daily occurance, having only the BEST of the BEST when going out to eat. I don't peruse menus the same, and when I'm having a special occasion I tend to eat based on sheer enjoyment of food (in tiny proportions) rather than to get that lost-forever sensation of being full up to the gills.

So yeah, sometimes I mourn the loss of space in my tummy, particularly when I want ten bites of something exquisite rather than just three. But ultimately, this makes me savor and enjoy those three bites far more than I would have enjoyed the 20 or 30 bites of lower quality food.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Tim T.
on 6/16/12 6:27 am - Eastham, MA
I constantly have a fridge full of "high end leftovers", I don't have a problem going to a nice restaurant  and ordering a well prepared,  well presented meal. I do not save any money eating out just because I usually don't finish every bite of food- it comes home with me and becomes part of another meal or a snack for my wife or kids. Sometimes they wind up just grabbing it off my plate at the restaurant because they know that I will not be finishing it!

Your post is accurate with my relationship with food, Lithia, you hit the nail on the head!

Tim T.

Lady Lithia
on 6/16/12 9:52 am
hubby and I always order in restaurants with the express idea about what I'll eat, sometmes he just gets two sides or something, andd I poke at his plate, someetimes we bring home leftovers that he eats.

I'm looking forward to teh 4 full weeks of serious sensuous indulgement I'll be enjoying over the winter going on two cruises. I plan to truly enjoy the food. and since a lot of the food offered on the cruise is buffet style (so I've heard) then that means I'll just pick and choose any and everything I want to try, and indulge in a sample-fest. The hardest thing I had to learn with this whole thing was that it is OKAY to leave food on your plate. I'm sure that I'm amongst the majority who heard the whole "clean your plate. Think of the starving children in china!" Which never made sense, but i was guilted into clearing my plate.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

BWB
on 6/16/12 12:21 pm, edited 6/16/12 12:25 pm
 My mom's line was "starving children in Europe". LOL  Unfortunately is stuck with me all these years.

We do the samething as you with restuarant meals.  I recently spent most of the time in the ladies room because I enjoyed the salad too much and too fast so that was an educational moment.  It does help to take small bites and chew longer.  I have adjusted to eating less than my companions and seeing how much most people eat is unbelievable now.  

One of the benefits of sharing a meal is the cost is much less.  

Teresa B.
on 6/16/12 3:00 am - Waxahachie, TX
It does get better.  I felt the same way.  I am 7 months out and now it is actually kind of fun.  First of all, at those family and friends get togethers, I don't feel like everyone is looking at how much food I get because it's only a few bites.  Secondly, it is a challenge for me.  Me being very competitive, I find it fun to convert old favorite recipes to healthy recipes.  My family LOVES it.  They didn't even realize they were eating healthy at first.  You will be able to enjoy food again...just in different portions and different ingredients. 

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/16/12 3:02 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Well said, Lady Lithia. I, too, decided preop that I would more of a gourmet than a gourmand or gorger. I'm still a little early out to fully experience a wide variety of food, but I am pickier than before. Unfortunately, now I'll have to learn to cook like a grownup.

shellbell75
on 6/16/12 3:07 am
That is a totally normal feeling. I agree with everything LL said.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

poet_kelly
on 6/16/12 3:30 am - OH
Why not try some new recipes?  And why do you have to overeat or eat unhealthy foods to participate fully in family functions?  Can't you take something healthy to share with your family and join right in?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hedrider
on 6/16/12 4:12 am - Midlothian, TX
 Food isn't fun, food is fuel.  Equating food with fun, and basing family/friendly functions around food are what caused me to be here in the first place.

Food can be tasty though.  Mix things up a little bit.

The situation should the fun part, who cares what you are or aren't eating as long as you enjoy the company!
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
Recent Topics