Great question from my boss: What do you say?

moxiecowgirl
on 6/15/12 5:58 am - Blue Springs, MO
RNY on 01/14/13
So, just for the record, I seriously work for the best company in the world in terms of supporting employees.  My office only has 3 people in it, including me.  My manager and my other co-worker have been just freaking astounding with their support since I started this whole journey a few months ago.

My boss and I were talking about scheduling my leave the other day, and she asked me the question I wish every employer would ask:  "when you come back to work, post-op, what can we do for you to make things more comfortable?"  And I have every reason to believe that she will go out of her way to do anything I put on that list, so I want to make sure I'm not asking for things I don't need.

An example of how accomodating my boss is:  she noticed that my office chair was a bit small, and I had to raise the adjustable arms to make it more comfortable for my hips.  I never complained about this because I'm pretty much used to it.  Well, she went out, and without making a huge issue of it, expensed me a cushy, deluxe-model chair sized for larger frames, which I'm actually sitting in as I type this.  So when I say she'll go out of her way, I mean it.

Anyway, long story short, I'm asking all the post-ops/vets:  what, if anything, are some of the things your office did to accommodate you, or some of the things you wish they had done?  I have no idea what to ask.  I kinda thought I would just sneak back into work and do business as usual, with the exception of the obvious diet and stamina-related modifications.

Starting weight: 335  Surgery day weight: 304.6  Current weight: 229.6  Goal weight: 145 

hedrider
on 6/15/12 6:02 am - Midlothian, TX
 I actually did not need much more than the opportunity to take water and/or snack breaks more frequently.  I was an OR nurse immediately post op so drinking while working was out of the question.  I asked to have a mid morning break and to have lunch at a reasonable hour (sometimes it was common to not eat until 1 or 2).
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/15/12 6:03 am - OH
The only thing I needed or asked anyone to do was remove the basket of chocolates that they decided needed to sit on the table between my cubicle and the next one,but I was a couple of years out when they decided to it that basket there.

Honestly, I cannot imagine what kind of accommodation anyone would need after a RNY.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/15/12 6:05 am - Baltimore, MD
 I would say just be mindful. Most of the time when folks went out to lunch, they were not mindful of the fact that maybe I'd be a little shy or weird eating around them. So if your boss knows, just ask that he be mindful that you may have weird moments. Also, let them know it's ok to ASK if you can or can't have something (if that is in fact ok with you) but that it's not necessary to make a big production to try to accommodate your eating since it will be so minimal. That was also a headache for me. No matter how much I told folks don't plan around me they were constantly trying to!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

poet_kelly
on 6/15/12 6:11 am - OH
I work from home, but I'm trying to think if my employer could have done anything to help when I did have a regular job.  Having some healthy choices available when lunch or snacks were provided at company functions would be helpful.  Maybe even a few healthy options in the vending machines.  Allowing you to keep a drink at your work station (I know many employers are fine with employees having drinks and I was allowed to eat anything I wanted at my desk, but some employers don't want food or drink outside the breakroom) will make it easier to get your fluids in.  A fridge and microwave would be helpful, if you don't already have those available at work.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Eliza55
on 6/15/12 6:14 am - PA
My office had a small refridgerator in a central area, and it was really helpful for all the high protein foods that I had to eat every 2-3 hours.

Like Nik says, sometimes it's hard when you're out for a business meal, and can only have about 7 bites of the food.  I usually ordered great appetisers, and that was good.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

cuddles010982
on 6/15/12 6:15 am - Mt
My job has been great. They have allowed me to work from home if I was too tired to go in that day or was only able to work a half day when I started back to work. My coworkers have also donated a ton of their sick time to me. SOOOOO NICE! I think the only thing that I can think of is just being mindful that you will be tired and may need breaks or to only work a half day here or there for the first couple of weeks.

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
kathyshrinks
on 6/15/12 6:18 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
I came back to work 1/2 days for a week or so, just to get back into the swing of things before coming back full-time.  I found that the 1/2 day tired me out pretty good at first, so I was glad I did it that way.  I am 47, so if you are younger or have a job that you enjoy more than I enjoy mine, YMMV.  Soemtimes I get tired just thinking about work, LOL!

Accomodations at work:  longer breaks for snacks.  My job used to involve a lot of talking on the phone, which is hard to do with a mouthful of lunchmeat, and when you are supposed to take more than 15 minutes to eat, well, a regular break doesn't cut it.  If you are able to eat while you work, it shouldn't be an issue (although it's better for you to practice mindful eating, and not do anything except eat while you are eating).

I also let my boss and co-workers know how I felt about goodie days and going out to lunch.  Basically my thoughts were: I can bring goodies for myself, and I can probably find something on any menu that I can eat, so no real accomodations needed there for me.

Kat Kat
on 6/15/12 6:39 am, edited 6/14/12 6:44 pm - AZ

When I got back to work, my boss was very sensitive to my needs, and concerned that I might find the regular work day too exhausting. I was well enough to do my job, but it was really sweet of him to be concerned.

I did need, and accepted help lifting my rolling laptop case out of my car for a few weeks ( I had an open surgery). When I had my WLS we were right in the middle of integration and test of a flight instrument which at NASA means someone from Mission Assurance is always there dressed in full clean-room attire. Because of the cleanliness requirements in those environments, we have no access to water, so occasionally I needed someone to relieve me so I could get a drink of water, or step out to the restroom.

Everyone has been, and still is really supportive of me. I feel very lucky to be working with such a great group of people. Then again, we're all Engineers, Scientists and Mathematicians, so what do we know, right?

Oh, oh, oh good story. Right after I lost 75 lbs I was sitting at a console with about 6 other team members. We were testing and evaluating our telemetry. Our project Scientist walked in and said hello to me, and then looked carefully and says, "Kat, did you change your hairstyle"? I said , 'Yes, it's called I just lost 75 lbs". The entire group stopped working and turned to stare at me at once. With big smiles they congratulated me, and we got right back to work. It was so funny because if you had slid a rocket booster up my butt, they'd have known at only a 40 lb weight loss, that the mass of this spacecraft was not meeting the projections. Nerds...but I love them...LOL!

Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/15/12 6:45 am
First few weeks after I got back to work I would get really tired mid day. I was allowed to bring small recliner and get short naps (30 min).  That was all I needed to help me go through the day. I would take 30 min to eat and 30 min to nap. It was my lunch hour.  I was allowed to "make up time" - when i had doc appointment- work late or come in early... (but then i always could do that)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 339 views