when did you stop seeing your surgeon?

grmadeb01
on 6/18/12 5:40 am - FL
at what point did you stop going to see your surgeon for follow up appointments, i have not had one single problem at all with my surgery...i went for my 6 month appointment had no problems....my labs were ok according to them..but on my own research, i was low on vitamin d and my B-12 was low...so i have been working on these myself..my chiropractor agreed with me when i got him a copy of my blood work....

so since my base PCM said they would do my blood work labs for me....and i feel i turst my chiro for the feedback and not the surgrons office.. i have not had any problems...i am ove r1 year post op..surgery on april 4th 2011...my thiniing is what do i need to go for?? its over an hour drive one way, plus tolls there and back and the gas in my min van...and a co-payment...for them to tell me every thing is fine... whats the point?? now trust me if i had problems i would go in a hear beat..but i have not had one throw up, one dumping, only a couple of very minor stuck episodes..one with raw carrots and one with some chinese food chicken....

just wondering at what point do you quit going to the surgeon for follow ups....
debby
Kim S.
on 6/18/12 5:44 am - Helena, AL
I'm 3 years out and only go once a year for a check up and labs.  I also have labs done at the 6 month mark by my general doctor.

Bucketta
on 6/18/12 5:46 am
 I was told that we would always need our surgeon, but mine moved and I have not seen him since last Sept.  and have no plans to drive the six hour drive to him any time soon.  I had wanted to follow him but really as long as I am losing, my PCP orders my labs and he and I agree they are OK and I have no other problems I think I will be fine.  On the other hand how I got to know the surgeon that did my RNY was when I had to have the port replaced to my lapband I met a woman that was just about dead and she had not seen her surgeon in years.  So I know we need them but how often I am not certain. 

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

Hillery82211
on 6/18/12 5:53 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with

Here's my thing...as someone that has some minor knowledge in the educational program that's involved with getting a doctor of chriopractic degree....I wouldn't go completely on his opinion on ANYTHING medically related.  Chiropractors generally do not attend a traditional "medical school" program  and know even less about a lot of the nutritional/vitamin needs of a post-opt person than most PCPs.

I understand your desire to save money...but at the one year mark, you most people are following up with thier surgeon 2x a year (every  six months) so its really not like you would be saving that much.  Call me crazy but I like going to doctors that have specialized training in certain areas that are relavent to my specific needs.  They are usually able to spot certain things early and better able to provide case management.  That's just my opinion though.

HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
JaneJetson
on 6/18/12 6:40 am, edited 6/17/12 6:45 pm
RNY on 05/07/12
I agree with you completely Chiropractors are not specialized as you said. You are not crazy you are smart in staying on top of your health. We can find a dozen reasons to not follow up but with our surgeries, I think it's important to find a surgeon near you if the other has moved. Maybe it's because we have really good insurance and would be referred to a surgeon if mine was retiring. Generally, that is what they do anyway at least out in my neck of the woods. So for the OP, don't hesitate to at least get established with a surgeon near you if the other is too far and cost money to make the trip. Take Care Everyone! Jane
LJ1972
on 6/18/12 5:55 am - FL
My surgeon has a 5yr follow up plan so I see him every 6mths for 5 years. I can see my dietitian for free anytime I want - I go every 3mths.
Price S.
on 6/18/12 5:56 am - Mills River, NC
After our 2 yr appt, we go once a year.  My PCP does the labs but says the surgeon needs to interpret.  I plan on continuing 1x a year.  My surgeon is 1.5 hr away.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

kathyshrinks
on 6/18/12 6:01 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
I think I will continue to see my surgeon indefintiely.  My PCP can do the bloodwork, but will she know the latest information about WLS patients?  Probably not.  If there are new studies published with information that could impact me, my surgeon is more likely to be up on it than my PCP.

CarolinaJerseyGirl
on 6/18/12 6:32 am
I totally agree !!!
Sandy  

hedrider
on 6/18/12 6:20 am - Midlothian, TX
 I haven't. I want the relationship with him that annual visits maintain.  IF something were going on I'd see him more frequently.  I see him annually now, but I actually have an extra appointment next week.

If he were further away, more than a few hours, I might reconsider.  But he's only about 45 minutes away.

My PCP knows labs, and knows normals, but doesn't neccesarily understand the malabsorption and increased needs, etc...
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.