OT: need feedback on smartphones (Update: got iPhone 4S)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/19/12 6:41 am, edited 6/19/12 1:02 pm - OH
I dropped my Blackberry on the concrete today... and it looks like I have to buy a new cell phone.  With the problems RIM has been having, I don't want another BB, and am not sure I want an iPhone, either (mostly because of cost but partly because of some negative feedback on battery life and dropped calls).  I have Sprint so am limited to their phones.  Just looking for feedback on the iPhone 4S vs an Android phone ( and on HTC EVO, Samsung Galaxy or Galaxy Nexus phones)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

KittenLove
on 6/19/12 6:47 am - Around Knoxville, TN
My iPhone is Verizon -- not sure how the iPhone is on Sprint (but it seems like you have some feedback already)....that being said:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE MY IPHONE 4S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry, just had to express my undying love for my iPhone but I hate iTunes!)

Be happy. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/19/12 7:19 am - OH
I have to admit that, since I already have a Mac laptop (as well as my PC laptop) AND an iPad, there is a certain appeal to an iPhone.  Not to mention that having the somewhat smartass Siri might be a lot of fun!

I am not worried about battery life, but AM concerned about reception and/or dropped calls.  NO matter what, I will probably miss my BB keyboard buttons.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sonogrrl
on 6/19/12 7:03 am
RNY on 05/22/12
Love my iPhone & have no issues with battery life; seldom dropped calls.
RNY 5/22/12      27.5.bs lost pre-op      
Dave Chambers
on 6/19/12 7:18 am - Mira Loma, CA
I'm kind of new to the smarphone market. I do have Verizon and I got a Samsung Galaxy 4G phone a couple of months ago.  I primarily wanted it for the Square credit card reader that works with smart phones, but happy with the rest of the phone's features. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Dave Chambers
on 6/19/12 7:23 am - Mira Loma, CA
BTW, I also got a rubberized case and a wrist strap to prevent damage to the phone, and minimize the chances of dropping it. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

1Haute Diva
on 6/19/12 7:36 am - Fort Stewart, GA
RNY on 03/20/12
 I was in love with my iphone until I tried a samsung galaxy SII.  Needless to say when it was time for an upgrad I left iphones behind and got a Samsung Galaxy note.  I must say that all samsungs I have been able to play around with or that my friends have purchased have all been great phones.

I love the android os.  While Siri seems like such a great novelty (only reason I would have gotten a new iphone), I know a lot of people who have siri and after a while opt to not hear her anymore lol.  Also the small screen size of an iphone is now just annoying to me.

- Shaw

Audrab
on 6/19/12 7:37 am
I had a Droid 4X which I loved but recently broke it.  I got the Iphone 4...not the 4S.  I love my iphone.  It is $100 cheaper to get the 4...than the 4S.  I didn't need SURI and the 4 has less memory but nothing that affects me.  My daughter has the 4S and loves it.  Both are very easy to use.  I also bought the OTTER BOX phone case on Amazon.  It really protects the phone.  I believe it is guarenteed.

Love the case and the iphone!  Good Luck!!
JerseyJim
on 6/19/12 7:38 am - Sayre, PA
I started using a blackberry around 2000 when it was really just a two way paging device and later evolved to include corporate email (Outlook/Exchange using a Blackberry Enterprise Server).  A few years later it also included a phone.  I used a Blackberry exclusively all the way through 2011 with the Blackberry Storm 2.  After a fairly happy 11 years, the limited applications, the lackluster success they had with the touch screen, and what seemed to be a very limited future made me strongly consider leaving Blackberry behind for a newer, sleeker device. Thank GOODNESS I did.  I could not be happier with my iPhone 4S. It is everything that the BB could never be. In the last 14 months, it has never needed to be rebooted, it never locked up, it never dropped a call, and it is always ready to serve me in whatever capacity is needed. I find that the battery lasts a long time but then again I don't have my phone attached to my hand like my wife and kids do. Siri is fickle, and sometimes frustrating, but I've been married twice so I'm used to that. 

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

nightbird
on 6/19/12 7:39 am - Bowie, MD
My husband and I have the HTC 4G EVO and love it.  I liked his so much when he got it I went out and got my own the next week.  We have had them over a year now and not a single problem.  It has a microSB chip inside under the battery for storage and we recently upgraded it to a 32 GB microchip from Amazon since we both have downloaded lots of aps.  We have had no dropped calls and love that we can use our wireless at home so it doesnt' use the 3G or 4G when it picks up our wireless network.  Neither of us had problems with battery life.  The HTC 4G EVO is the highest reviewed phone on the Sprint website.  We use Sprint.

Good luck :)

Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics