Flint$tone Vits

ritarugger
on 7/3/12 9:08 pm - NY
I promised I would post results of my first blood panel because of the f-stone comments and concerns.  Everything was great with my bloodwork except my iron levels.  I am now anemic and taking a seperate iron supplement.  I have purchased a chewable form of an adult multivitamin which I will do for my next blood panel to see if there is much of a difference.

BTW...I am now in "onederland" and I am only 7 weeks out!!!!
wendydettmer
on 7/3/12 9:29 pm - Rochester, NY
 i'm glad your labs were ok, just remember you are very early out and still using your bodies storage so it really is way too early to show defeciencies.  It's also common for doctors not to test for everything that needs to be tested for.  

just be cautious.  flintstones aren't made for adults, even those who haven't had RNY.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 7/3/12 11:39 pm
Doctors don't always test for some of the minerals and elements missing from Flinestone vitamins.  They are not recommended for long term supplementation.

Winnie

poet_kelly
on 7/4/12 12:09 am - OH
Being only seven weeks out, you haven't had time to develop many deficiencies.  I'm glad you're switching to an adult multi.

So what were the results of your blood work?  What was your vitamin A?  Your selenium?  Your vitamin K?  Those are things specifically  missing or low in Flintstones.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sara O.
on 7/4/12 1:19 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12
Kelly, I want to switch from flinstones to something better. What would you recommend? Centrum? Which one? Like Flinstones I'm sure there are multiple types of Centrum.
poet_kelly
on 7/4/12 1:23 am - OH
Do you want chewables?  If so, I would go with Centrum Silver because it has selenium and the regular adult chewable Centrum does not.  If you are going to take a vitamin you swallow, I just use regular Centrum. Actually, sometimes I use regular Centrum, other times I use a generic equivalent which is cheaper.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sara O.
on 7/4/12 3:02 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12
I prefer chewables, yes. Thank Kelly!
Lady Lithia
on 7/4/12 2:37 am
One thing that is important to do is to NOT listen when your doc says "Your bloodwork looks great"

Your doc cares, I'm sure, but ultimately nobody will care MORE about your body than YOU will..

You need a printout so you can track everything.

Tracking shows you trends. for example, you might be high-normal on vitamin D for the first bit of blood work, Normal in the second one, trending low on the third, and quite low on the fourth. But their reference range is so wide, that you still won't show that you're low in that fourth blood draw, even though you've been dropping like a stone since surgery. By the time you show as "low" in the fifth blood draw, you've already begun to lose bone mass in your bones and felt fatigued often. You need to get the results and look them through carefully.

The reference range for B-12 is another one that is hugely important. If you're NORMAL on it, you might STILL be within the range where people are getting IRREPARABLE nerve damage .... which means you doc says "Your labs looked good" and you're meantime sustaining a permanent injury that will never get better.

So you have to get the results and track them so you'll know what is going on with your body. Your doc looks for readings that the lab flags as important, if you're above or below the reference range. But correcting a deficiency can be much harder than it seems if you wait until your doc tells you that you're low. Track it yourself, and if you trend low, correct it before it gets bad.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

dianabelle12
on 7/4/12 2:58 am
I am 14 mos post-op and i have taken 2 chewable flinstones since my surgery since its what my surgeon suggested,my labs have been perfect everytime i get them done,i do take an iron supplement as well cause my surgeon suggested that as well.So i dont see a problem with those vitamins I have done fine with them.

poet_kelly
on 7/4/12 3:06 am - OH
Can I ask about your vitamin A level?  Selenium?  Vitamin K?

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 325 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 316 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 92 views
What's on your Monday Menu?