How can I get regular..Yes another Poop Question

cuddles010982
on 7/12/12 1:46 pm - Mt
I seem to go between being constipated for 4-5 days to having diarrhea for a day or 2 (TMI i know..sorry). I never seem to be regular. I have thought about taking stool softners but then I worry it will make the diarhea worse.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can take that will deal with both issues?

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
SaraBurns
on 7/12/12 1:51 pm - Newton, IA
RNY on 06/05/12
k i have the same problem.. heres what they told me to do. when you think that you are constipated take milk of magnesia about 2 tablespoons and that will help.. to keep from geting that way again take stool softners everyday before you go to bed and every morning drink metamucil or benefiber.. i would recomend the benefiber becaus the metamucil is thick and gritty.. i hope that this helps you..

good luck

Surgery 6/5/12
cuddles010982
on 7/12/12 1:59 pm - Mt
will doing that make the diarhea worse?

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
SaraBurns
on 7/12/12 2:20 pm - Newton, IA
RNY on 06/05/12
sorry i forgot to put that.. if u do have diarhea, then dont take the milk of magnesa some times it wont some time it will. but if it is i would just take the stool softner. because once it start to fim back up you dont want to get constipated again.. but if you want to you can consult your family doctor and they should be able to help you out..

Surgery 6/5/12
BugdocMom
on 7/12/12 2:15 pm - CA
After months of swinging back and forth, I worked out a system with Miralax. I start every morning with a cup of warm tea, coffee, or diet hot cocoa with Miralax dissolved in it (well, the generic version). It took me a while to figure out my ideal dose. I started with a whole dose a day and have figured out that 1/2 dose daily keeps me pretty regular. Occasionally, and for some reason unknown to me, I have to bump it up to 3/4 dose for a while, but my "sweet spot" is usually 1/2 dose a day. I DO NOT FORGET or I will regret it after just a few days.
ldropps
on 7/12/12 2:32 pm - Bagley, MN
I was told to eat the Metamucil biscuits. I was even told that I should take them with liquid which feels very naughty. I take two a day. It works for me.
Turtle Lynn
on 7/12/12 11:16 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

What everyone else has said about Miralax or Milk of Magnesia. . .if you do the MOM, the doc said it was more effective to take a spoonful in the a.m. than another in the p.m.. . . . .something about splitting up the dose helps promote regularity. 

For the diarrhea, you could use Imodium as needed.  

If you can't get "straightened out" you might want to see a Gastroenterologist; there are several meds they can give you to help with the diarrhea that you would only need to use when you're having that problem, and they can help you with the constipation too.  

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Scaura
on 7/14/12 12:14 pm - Fort Collins, CO
I take 2 Dulcolax every single night without fail.  I had the most unbelievable constipation and that is the only thing that works for me.  I am certainly not regular, but it beats being in horrid pain.

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?