Tummy Tuck

halecarolinagirl
on 7/14/12 11:54 pm - NC
RNY on 05/07/12
I'm a ways out from doing this, but I know it's definitely in my future. Has anyone had a tummy tuck after losing all their weight (or close to it)? Just wondering about the recovery, pain levels, etc. The doctors found a small hernia, which is actually to my benefit because my insurance will cover my tummy tuck due to the hernia. I was ecstatic when they told me because I had priced it before the gastric bypass surgery & it was going to be extremely expensive without insurance paying for it. If you have any thoughts, comments, etc. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks ;-)
Dave Chambers
on 7/15/12 12:06 am - Mira Loma, CA
Is 5-7-12 your actual surgery date, as liste by your avatar?  If so, you should wait. If the hernia is BAD, and it needs to be repaired right not, you might opt for that surgery now.  BUT, most bariatric surgeons and PS docs recommend a couple of things before a tummy tuck--wait until your wt loss has stabilized for 6 months and don't have surgery less than 18 months post op.  I know at least two women who had a TT early, before their complete wt loss. They both ended up back in surgery for a "tune up" as they has additional lose skin with the last of their wt loss.  Tightening the muscles from a TT will likely require wearing a binder, you'll have more pain than the original RNY, and you'll find it somewhat painfull and difficult to stand upright for several weeks post op. Every patient is different, but this is pretty much what I've heard from post ops I know that have had the $$ to pay for plastics. You're lucky your insurance is willing to pay for the TT, as that's pretty rare.  DON'T do the TT too soon--you'll likely regret that decision. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 7/15/12 3:03 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
My TT experience is much the same as Larry's, lost 160 lbs and weighed 160 had TT and loved it, although I almost died twice because of a MISTAKE a nurse anesthetist made , finally had it done with the head of anesthesiology ...boy was I scared!! glad I did it though.
I maintained my weight loss about 4 years then started gaining , I did gain in my stomach area but since the fat cells were no longer there my stomach was relatively flat , now the fat went to the top of my thighs...it has to go somewhere.
I had drains for about a week , wore a girdle thing for a couple of months and was fully back to being able to lift furniture into our truck by about 4 months ( I was an antique dealer at the time)
I had the band after a 90 lb re gain and now Bypass .My stomach still looks great.
Wait until you loose all your weight ...I still LOVE my TT
I DON'T love that even after 12 years I have panic attacks around medications , Dr's. and hospitals
Just goes to show that NO SURGERY is without risks !!!

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

MrsLitch
on 7/15/12 2:15 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I had a TT about 11 years ago after I lost 80 pounds. My Ins paid for it so I'm hoping they will again. I had some complications and had to keep my drains in for several weeks and then go back and get fluids drained several times. I ended up with part of my insicion creating a hole that tunneled and came out 4 inches over on the incision line and I had to wear a wound vac for a month. It wasn't as painful as this surgery for ME. And even with all that went wrong I will be standing in line to do it again.

Wait until you are done losing though because my TT did not give me the belly I envisioned and I should of lost more before doing it!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Larry Wassmann
on 7/15/12 2:27 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
I had one 16 years ago after losing 200lbs. I paid for it myself $$$$$$. Anyway it was not that painful for me, but did have to wear a drain for quite some time. I would wait until you are at your goal and then wait a year or two to make sure you stay there. I had my weight down for about 5 years but slowly gained much back. Now after RNY I am losing again and the flap of skin they took off is not coming back, thank God and my stomach looks like it is going to be nice and flat. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/15/12 3:20 am - OH
I had a tummy tuck. Although I love having a flat tummy for the first time in my adult life, it was honestly the most painful surgery I have ever had.  I was still having trouble walking upright (I could stand straight, but after walking a short distance, it would start to hurt a lot and I would end up hunching over) when I went back to work.  I also had to suffer through the incision turning necrotic about 36 hours after surgery.  By the time the surgeon did three rounds of debridement to remove the dead skin and tissue, I ended up with a triangular crater in my belly that was so deep at one point that you could see the muscle fascia.  It took over 5 months (during which time I had to clean and re-pack the wound twice a day) for the tissue and skin to grow back.  Although the scarring is MUCH less than I feared it would be, much of it looks more like a burn scar.

I did pay extra (I had to pay for the TT myself) to get an On-Q pain ball (which has a tiny perforated tube that is inserted below the skin along the incision line to deliver a constant small stream of local anesthetic).  It really helped with the pain for the first 2 and a half days (along with the Vicodin), but I was in a lot of pain when it ran out!

You should definitely wait as long as you can, and until you have lost as much weight as you are going to lose and are at a stable weight in order to get the best results.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

amn12118
on 7/15/12 3:42 am
I also have a hernia, well 3, and it caused the insurance company to also pay for a TT, but Im only 4 months out, so it will be a while. I have concerns about the TT though. Im confused with where the skin they are removing is..like is it just the bottom "pouch" i have from the kids lol or are they oulling the skin tight from the entire stomach..i dont have a ton of extra skin but I dont want to look funny if they just remove the pouch and I still have the skin above my belly button..
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/15/12 4:09 am - OH
 With a tummy tuck, they remove the excess skin from the entire stomach.  The panniculectomy only removes the lower apron of skin.

Lora

Mary Catherine
on 7/15/12 3:47 am

Make sure that the insurance paid tummy tuck is going to include muscle tightening and if not negotiate to pay extra for it.  Think of your stretched muscles like a tennis shoe with no laces.  The muscle tightening will be like putting a shoelace on and then pulling it all tightly together.  Without that part, the tummytuck will not be that dramatic.

I was in pain and could not walk straight upright for about a week.  The pain was controlled with pain killers and I used a walker and stayed sitting in a recliner for most of that week.  You do not get up and move, it is important to stay still and let it heal. 

It is probably the best thing you can do for yourself.  I was about 17 months out from surgery and about 5 pounds above goal.  The surgeon recommended being within 10 pounds from the weight that you want to stay at for life.  Going up or down more than 10 pounds will start to affect the surgery results.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/15/12 4:11 am - OH
I was given the exact opposite instructions.  I was told, as with every other surgery, that it was important to be up and moving every few hours not only in order to help prevent blood clots but to promote general healing.

Lora

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 6 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views