I need advice bad!

mbrown1
on 7/17/12 7:30 am - sunbury, OH
Almost 3 years out and feel hungry all the time. I was at goal but have gained 10 lbs. Im freaking out. what can I do?

poet_kelly
on 7/17/12 7:36 am - OH
What are you eating?  Are you drinking with meals?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladytazz
on 7/17/12 7:49 am
Has anything changed, either with the way you are eating or in your life in general?  Or is this just completely out of the blue.  With my first WLS I was always hungry but that was pretty much from the beginning.  I still managed to lose weight for the first 2 years in spite of the way I was eating but by the third year I was on my way up, although it took several more years to eat my way back up to obesity and then morbid obesity.  My surgeon told me that if a patient tells him that they are no longer hungry then that is the best outcome he can hope for.
Sometimes it is hard to know if the hunger is physical or mental.  For me there was no doubt that my hunger was physical.  I don't know why but I was always ravenously hungry, from the time I could remember and WLS did nothing to change that.  With my revision I don't have hunger and I think that is for a couple of reasons.  One, my surgeon removed my remnant stomach so all I have is my pouch and none of the ghrelin producing stomach left.  Two, I totally avoid sugar and gluten and I believe that I am sensitive to items containing those things and eating things with them make me crave them more, kind of like an alcoholic craves more alcohol once he starts drinking it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

mbrown1
on 7/17/12 11:00 pm - sunbury, OH
I have always been someone who has to eat every 2 hours. its been that way as soon as I had the surgery, but as time has gone on I feel like I don't ever have a satisfied feeling. I'm either hungry or too full never comfortable. Now I just feel hungry all the time. I try not drinking when eating but it doesn't seem to make difference. I'm still hungry like 20 min later. I don't ever feel satisfied. I'm so afraid of getting fat again that its stressing me out and as crappy as this seems I feel like that is making me want to eat more too.I just want to feel satisfied and stay that way for a Little before I'm back to looking for something else to eat. I also think that I'm not getting much in when I eat so I think that is one of the reasons I'm so hungry so quick. Help!!!

Price S.
on 7/17/12 7:51 am - Mills River, NC
Are you still taking an acid inhibitor?  that effects hunger in some folks.

Did it happen all of a sudden?  Are you on any new meds?

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

mbrown1
on 7/17/12 11:02 pm - sunbury, OH

Hey thanks for the reply! what kind of acid inhibitor? I dont take anything like that

Price S.
on 7/17/12 11:32 pm - Mills River, NC
Many of us find we need prolosec or something like that even though we are further out from surgery.  I know when I went off it last fall, I had a gnawing burning feeling in my pouch that nothing seemed to help.  It went away when I started back on my acid inhibitor.  I'm not without it now.  Some folks seem to be hungry all the time without it.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

mbrown1
on 7/17/12 11:48 pm - sunbury, OH
Is this something you can get over the counter?

Price S.
on 7/18/12 5:34 am - Mills River, NC
Yep, prilosec at walmart or CVS or anywhere.  the generic is cheaper and works just as well.

Most Active
Recent Topics