I Need Help!

seanseosamh
on 7/22/12 2:09 am
I had surgery 20 days ago.
On a liquid diet, the first 10 days were very good.
The next 10 days on pureed food have been miserable.
Everything gives me GAS...that weighs on me and is only relieved by belching.
I am eating slow...last night it took 30 minutes to get down 2 oz. rotisserie chicken and an ounce of minced carrots.  Two hours later I had a protein shake...just to get more grams of protein and some more calories.  I was mostly miserable all evening and had a rotten night.

Today, I had herbal tea on arising,  6 ounces of yogurt (eaten in 3 batches over an hour).  That settled pretty well.  Since returning from church, I've tried to drink a cup of water.  Even water gives me GAS.

I've been on omeprazole for almost 4 years...and I haven't had this much gas pain in those 4 years.

What am I doing wrong?  Right now, I can't stand the thoughts of eating anything for lunch.

It will just cause more pain.  I'll speak to the program nurse tomorrow...but right now I'm down in the dumps.
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/22/12 2:15 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Are you on purees? Chicken and carrots are not usually considered pureed foods. If they've been blended, I guess they might be. Chicken is hard to digest for many RNYers, in any form. 
Since you feel all right with full liquids and true pureed foods like yogurt, why not stick to that? You don't have to drink water, either. I couldn't handle water until 3 months out. Warm herbal tea was my staple liquid.

Try taking a step back. My guess is you're moving too fast. Good luck to you.

MrsLitch
on 7/22/12 4:19 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
Anything can be pureed. It just means you puree it. My doc's plan said I could have meat, cheese or eggs during my pureed stage only so it meant pureeing all kinds of meat.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/23/12 2:16 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 I know what puree means. Apparently some doctors use the term puree when they mean mechanical soft so patients can understand it better. Whatever you call it, some foods are not easy on the pouch even when pureed. Chicken is one.
tgrlnh
on 7/22/12 2:37 am
RNY on 06/05/12
I am almost 7 weeks out and I still have a hard time eating chicken.

HW 351 SW 314 CW 140 ~ Surgery Day 6/5/12 - The first day of the rest of my life!

Melyssa S.
on 7/22/12 2:40 am - Lauderhill, FL
RNY on 06/12/12
Everyone is different but I had to completely stop having milk and once I did the gas and gas pains got so much better. I am able to tolerate cheese and no problem with lactaid ff milk products. Good luck
HW 247 SW 224 GW 140                  
Winners never quit and quitters never win. Vince Lombardi

Lady Lithia
on 7/22/12 2:46 am
Are you consuming MILK

If you are, you could be lactose intolerant.

I had a LOT of gas from milk. Once I discontinued milk, the gas discontinued too.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

brandymc24
on 7/22/12 2:49 am, edited 7/22/12 2:50 am - CA
RNY on 06/07/12
 I had a problem with drinking my shakes especially at night so I would have hot herbal tea first thing in the am and then I make 4 oz plain yogurt (only 3 grams sugar for 4 oz) and I mix 1 scoop of protein powder in that and eat it. It is 30 grams of protein. I am now 6 weeks out and that is the only protein mix I am doing the rest is from food. In the beginning I would add 2oz of yogurt with 1/2 scoop of powder to make up the rest of my 60 grams I needed at the end of the day. Pureed was the hardest for me everything sounded gross to puree. But once you move to regular it gets better.
Also water hurt my tummy up until about a 1 week ago so I drank alot of herbal tea, decaf ice tea, vitamin water and Sobe life water zero calories. Even crystal light didnt sit right.

Jen V.
on 7/22/12 7:11 am - Waterford Township, MI
RNY on 06/29/12
 I am 3 weeks out, and I am eating cream of chicken soup with canned chicken added to it for more protein, cream of broccoli soup with added broccoli cooked well and chopped up really well, canned chicken with a very small amount of light Miracle Whip added to it, sugar free Pop Ice, Crystal Lite, eggs, turkey sausage, turkey chili, sugar free Jell-o, and unsweetened apple sauce. I could not imagine switching to actual chicken right now. Canned chicken is really easy to chew and is pretty close to puree. I can eat 2oz of it without a problem. Oh, and because I am lactose intolerant, I make my soups with water, but since it already has milk in it, I do get some gas. I know it is from the soup, though, so I eat those less often. As far as the water, I was burping a lot from water until I switched to using a straw, which my doctor approved. Taking small sips from the bottle of water was making me swallow too much air. 

BWB
on 7/22/12 7:39 am, edited 7/21/12 7:40 pm
30 minutes for a meal is the right amount of time you should spend. You might try Almond milk instead of regular milk. It can be substituted in baking or cooking for milk.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 54 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 258 views