My family is torturing me!!

siamsa1
on 7/22/12 10:34 am
RNY on 07/17/12
I just had surgery on the 17th and really haven't felt hunger since the night before.  However ever since I've come home my family has been cooking meals that they know I like.  Tonight it's baked chicken and bacon.  The other night it was lasagne.  I'm not the least bit hungry but the smell is absolute torture for me!!!!!  Help!

Jennifer

coppertop84
on 7/22/12 10:38 am - Canada
Have you tried going for a walk/doing something else while they eat? I stayed with my folks for a week post op and whenever they had something I knew I'd have a hard time smelling the deliciousness of it I either went for a walk, or ate downstairs while watching a movie.

siamsa1
on 7/22/12 10:59 am
RNY on 07/17/12

Yes I've done those things.  The problem is that we live in a tiny 900 square foot apartment so the smells are hard to escape.  Then of course the leftovers in the fridge.  I guess it's just something that I'm going to have to work on as I heal. 

Jennifer

aesposito
on 7/22/12 10:39 am
Depending on your surgeon's meal plan, you could have some baked chicken and a bit of bacon... I lived off semi-pureed chicken salad the first few weeks (made by my ex husband, a restaurant manager, LOL).  And you might be able to have the ricotta cheese and tomato sauce from the lasagna too, again depending on your meal plan....

As for your family making meals they know you like, that's not very nice of them, is it...

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

siamsa1
on 7/22/12 11:04 am
RNY on 07/17/12
I'm just 5 days post-op so none of those things are on my meal plan right now.  I'm still on clear liquids at this point.  Tuesday I move to full liquids.  My family has been supportive of me up to this point but I think they're getting tired of my limitations and don't want to be under the same restrictions.  I haven't asked them to follow my meal plan - just make things that they know I don't like for a bit (of which there are many things).  So far - no go. 

Jennifer

hedrider
on 7/22/12 11:31 am - Midlothian, TX
 Well... it kinda stinks, I get it.  But you had surgery and you changed your lifestyle, not your family.  Mine had McDonald's, pizza, etc when I was newly post op.  They still do.  But - this was my change.  I can't expect them to disrupt their life and impose my new meals choices upon them...

Perhaps mention how much is triggers you to them, but realistically these things are going to be part of your life and finding ways to deal with it now could probably help you in the long run.  :)
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Chirs H.
on 7/22/12 12:41 pm - Wichita Falls, TX
This is something I've wondered about.  Fortunately, I am unable to smell ANYTHING!  My nutritionist thinks this will definitely work in my favor after the surgery.  She told me that some people become hypersensitive to smells after the surgery.  I hope this doesn't make it too hard for you to stay true to yuor goal.
Chris

Don't quit before the miracle...

GraceGirl
on 7/22/12 12:45 pm
It does stink. BUT you have to get over it. My hubby has been eating normal. I was on a 4 week pre op diet and I am now almost 2 weeks post op. He has not changed his eating habbits, I still make him meals as usual. He even got buffalo wings last week. You just adjust. It doesnt bother me anymore. JUst remember why you chose surgery. It will get better just takes some adjustments its all new right now. You will be ok.

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

Leslie M.
on 7/22/12 2:02 pm - AL
I know it's tough but stick to YOUR meal plan.  You have gone through major surgery for a reason.  Don't let food or anyone make you sabotage yourself. 

I made a list pre-surgery of reasons that I wanted surgery....and I read it on a regular basis during trying times to keep me on track.  Also used to sip on olive or pickle juice....it helped curb my salty cravings.....weird....I know.

I used to remind myself that food will always be there.  No matter what it was, in a few weeks or months, it will still be there.......

And when all else fails.....you have your OH friends for support!

Hang in there.

Leslie
Marianne H.
on 7/22/12 2:13 pm - Alanson, MI
Revision on 03/31/15
You are not alone. My mother brought Chinese takeout to my house a couple of days after I came home from the hospital. I was PISSED! But the truth is that in a few weeks you won't care anymore. It sucks that people are inconsiderate (like my husband who smokes around me even though I quit) but you can only control your behavior. Hang in there...it gets easier as you go :)