What does everyone think of Quinoa?

BeccaM76
on 7/29/12 12:23 pm
I love the stuff.  I've eaten it a few times post surgery and it seems to set good and keep me full for a long time.  When I make it, I mix in edemame, zuccini, onion, garlic, little bit of olive oil and salt/pepper and sometimes a little vinegar.

What are your opinions of it?  Is it ok to eat on a regular basis (a few days a week)? 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/29/12 12:35 pm - OH
Although it has some fiber and protein, it is also high in carbs (starch) so I definitely would not eat it multiple times a week.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/29/12 9:55 pm, edited 7/29/12 9:59 pm - Baltimore, MD
I would disagree with that. For instance I am eating a quinoa based dish all week. Quinoa is a complete protein with lots of fiber and it is a complex carb. I don't think there's anything wrong with eating a serving several times a week, but my NUT advised me to have two servings of good upstanding starches a DAY and has since I was relatively early out. I didn't do it until about two years out. But she always recommended it, lol.

There are nutrients you can only get from starches and while we always malabsorb micro-nutrients both she and the head nutritionist at Bariatric Advantage have told me we should eat good, complex carbs like quinoa, barley, etc as a regular part of our diets long-term for the nutritional benefits. The Bariatric Advantage lady also said uncooked oats are good for your heart? I think I read that somewhere.

At any rate starches like quinoa don't bug me at all or throw my blood sugar so I figure they must e better than even a good whole wheat bread because even it does mess with me if I eat too much of it.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/30/12 1:02 am - OH
I don't disagree with anything you said... other than that I personally choose not to have starches nearly that often.  I often don't have even one a day. 

There is a basic difference between us that factors into this (and may effect others' decisions about this general topic as well).  You exercise regularly whereas I do not because of my knee, so I have to be more careful about the content of the food I consume in order to keep my weight under control.  For someone who works out, the additional carbs may not be a problem, but it would definitely be a problem for me to eat something that high in carbs several times a week (let alone on a daily basis).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/30/12 1:43 am - Baltimore, MD
All fair points, Lora!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

christinalee
on 7/29/12 1:04 pm - At Home in, NH
I've always thought that the way it's pronounced is nothing like how it is spelled....a bizarre pronunciation for sure, or maybe it's the spelling that's just incongruent. Anyway, that's where my mind goes when i think of quinoa.

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/29/12 9:52 pm - Baltimore, MD
Keen-wah (unless you're my friend Jen then its "kin-wah") LOL.

MNJourney
on 7/29/12 1:09 pm
I don't care for quinoa, and I dont tolerate or indulge in pastas much anymore. I have learned/found other foods that I enjoy.

HW:317 SW:255 CW:147

LJ1972
on 7/29/12 1:12 pm - FL
think Nik has some recipes using it on her blog, I've never had it, keep saying i am going to try it

www.bariatricfoodie.com
Infogal
on 7/29/12 2:03 pm
I absolutely love it! It is very versatile & easy to cook. My nut was the one who told me about it. Next time I make it I'm going to try it sweet, for breakfast. I think it has better stats than oatmeal! (Don't eat it, carbs too high & not enough protein in my opinion)
Infogal            
Most Active
Recent Topics