Did you give away your clothes?

Sherrie P.
on 7/29/12 6:55 am
RNY on 02/06/13
A while ago, I had a friend, who was pre-op... ask me if I wanted her clothes.

At the time, it came across as "You are fat and will be fatter than me, so when I am no longer fat and need to throw away these fat clothes I might as well give them to my fattest friend and that is you fatty."

But now, hoping to have surgery in September, I am sure I will be in the same boat, with perfectly good clothes that are too big.  I wear business casual 5 days a week, so I have a lot of decent clothes.

Did you give your clothes away? How did people react? Did you offer them? Sell them? Donate them?
Clothing swap?  Did anyone exchange here on the board?

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

On2BetterThings
on 7/29/12 7:01 am - Germantown, WI
RNY on 04/03/12
I gave mine away. My friends were practically fighting over them! Lol. We are open about our size and weight with each other, so I didn't even have to ask if they wanted em, they seen me getting smaller and jumped at the chance to have em! Lol
    RNY 04*03*12

Sara L.
on 7/29/12 7:19 am
 I sold some of the clothes at a garage sale, I advertised the sizes and brands on Craig's list.  Then I gave what was left to a local Women Helping Women organization.  

It is amazing to get rid of all that stuff!  

poet_kelly
on 7/29/12 7:23 am - OH
I donated most of mine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kallen27
on 7/29/12 7:39 am
I gave most to goodwill and a few things to friends who wanted them!

LiciaLou
on 7/29/12 7:49 am - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
I have a very different style than most of my friends & only one is the same size as me. I am going to give her a really nice Baby Phat top once it is too big for me.

The rest of the stuff I will donate to one of  the churches in town. They have a food bank & clothing closet to help out people in our community who are struggling. That is where most of my daughter's clothes ended up when she outgrew them.

Alicia ~ HW 307 ~ SW 287 ~ GW 135 ~ CW 160

Whit
on 7/29/12 7:57 am
Revision on 12/10/12
 Hi,
I gave mine to a co-worker and she was thrilled. I had nice designer cloths she wore them to church. If you feel ackward donate them. You can write them off at the ned of the year.
Best,
Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Lady Lithia
on 7/29/12 8:12 am
I donated to the high school clothing drives, and also separately we have a special "closet program" where clothing appropriate for high school students that is given to the life-skills class and some of their learning includes knowing how to do laundry, so they launder everything, and when a student expresses that they are poor and have no real clothing, the school donates in those good causes. Often the girls who are larger are left with the smallest selection of clothing to choose from, because most people who donate are a smaller size than the 350 pounds I used to be.

I also sent shipping money and a bit more to a friend here from this forum who was about 8 months further out than I was. She sent me her 18s (and she has the most awesome taste in clothing). It was great because she and I had the same body type completely so if it fit her, it fit me.

When I was down to 14s, she sent me another shipment. Her money situation was tighter, so I sent her a bit more.

When I was in a size 14 our "attendance lady" who I always thought was this teeny tiny woman and would never be large offered me some of her clothing from when she lost weight. I didn't want her to feel offended so I agreed. I was sure that the clothing would be impossibly tiny. I couldn't believe it when some of the clothing was too BIG for me. How could "bird lady" be that big? She had said she'd "just lost" the extra weight. Which of course is the whole body dysmorphia where you see yourself bigger than reality.

So I had 14s from one of my friends here and from the coworker.

When I got lower down, I had another shipment and another donation of lovely clothing from my coworker. I literally had to buy two more dressers for all of the clothing from the coworker. All in size 8s and 10s and 12s

I decided when I was at a size 10 that I would get rid of everything at size 14 or bigger. I always donated.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

artroxy blue
on 7/29/12 8:13 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I donate what is still good. If it's too ratty, worn or otherwise not acceptable, I throw it away. I'm a big believer in donating because there will always be someone out there that will need some help, and plus-size clothing is hard to come by at Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. 
acrespin1
on 7/29/12 8:55 am
RNY on 05/16/12
I've donated 99% of my wardrobe to the Salvation Army. I've browsed those stores before and have never seen many plus size clothes. Most of my clothes came from Catherines and some still had tags. I hope they can make some other plus size women in need happy!