3 years post op

Jennburgess
on 8/11/12 12:52 am - Moreno Valley, CA
I pretty much never come on here anymore. I'm too busy living! But for all of you thinking about having the surgery, getting ready to have it, or in the recovery stages, i wanted to let you know what its like 3 years out :)

Age at surgery 29, current age: 32
height 5'8"
Heaviest weight: 270
Pre-op Weight: 248
Goal weight: 150
Current weight: 136

Having the gastric bypass was the best thing I have ever done for myself. My only regrett is that i waited so long to do it. The first week your gonna feel like crap. Your not going to be in any real pain, but soooooo tired. And your going to be very tired for several months. The first 7 days you seem to spend your life trying to get enough liquids and protein into your body and you just can't seem to do it. At 6 months I still could not eat bread. And still threw up every once awhile from not chewing something well enough.  Also the first 3 months expect to feel stupid and have your hormones all over the place. By 7 months I was feeling pretty good though. I started to push myself to be more active and start living the life I said I was having the surgery to be able to live.

From that point on I have haven't looked back. I've done all the things I couldn't do before, either because I was too shy or because I had gotten heavy and didn't feel like doing anything anymore. I can eat pretty much anything I want, physically speaking. I choose to make good choices most of the time. I take my vitamines every day and have not had any issues with malabsoprtion. I workout and actually enjoy it. I choose things that i actually have fun doing. And I spend a lot of money on clothes now ;)

8 days ago, I had a breast lift, implants, and tummy tuck done. At 150 my loose skin wasn't that bad, but this summer when I really worked to get the remaining fat off and dropped into the 130's it became a  lot more apparent.  So three years out, I'm not recovery from the next phase of fixing my body. The bypass fized my health, and the plastics my ego ;)

Again the recovery has not be bad. Just frustrating trying to relax and heal when my lifestyle is so much more active now.

If your considering the surgery do it, make the commitement and do this for yourself. Then sick to it! Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels. If you've had it and your now recovering, it gets soo much better. Just hang in there! If your a year out, don't get lazy. Weigh in daily and give yourself a limit. When you hit your high, get it back down to your low weight. Don't let it creep back up. I did. My 1 year was 142 and a few months ago I let it get up to 155 by eating junk. I cut out the bad foods and upped my exercise and added in some weights and I felt amazing. I also thing its why the plastics went so well. My body was in really good shape.

I have a friend who had the suergy 2 years before me. She's gained about 50 lbs back and is fighitng to get it back off. Don't be her. She never took her vitamins either and has had a lot of issues with anemia. I was anemic off and on my whole life but not since the bypass lol. The Sf chewables are expsensive but worth it.

Whatever you have to go through the first few months and whatever the cost, its worth doing.

Darcy S.
on 8/11/12 4:18 am - Clinton, CT
Great post! Thank you so much from a person 8 months out and feeling amazing it's great to hear that the feeling will continue!

Thanks again!!!!
Darcy

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

marye140
on 8/11/12 4:50 am - DE
Being 10 days out this was so motivating to read this morning.  Thanks!

HW: 298   SW:263  CW:139   RNY 8/1/12

debbie0321
on 8/11/12 6:04 am - Cincinnati, OH
RNY on 08/06/12
I just had surgery on Monday and I loved this post! Thanks for sharing!

HW:  404      SW:  336.6     CW:  277.2

Princess Brandy
on 8/11/12 6:17 am - PA
 Congrats to you! 
        http://poundsago.blogspot.com/.  My daughters weightloss blog, would love if you all support her in her journey. 
karenp8
on 8/11/12 9:22 am - Brighton, IL
Thank you for posting this! I am getting ready to have surgery on the 29th and your post strengthened my resolve to do this. I too want to live my life again and do the things I used to enjoy but have stopped doing because I feel self conscious. I have been excercising all summer but can't do much because of the weight. I can't wait til I can really enjoy it without pain! Glad to hear you are doing so well! 
LisaBee1964
on 8/11/12 7:43 pm - OH
thanx for posting... i'm 17 months out from surgery and have started getting a little lax on things so it is good to be encouraged by someone further out than me. i still make sure i get enough protien and liquds, exercise some but want to exercise more. also eat too much junk and i know i have to be careful!
appreciate your sharing!
  I am lovin' life!         
Jennburgess
on 8/11/12 11:31 pm - Moreno Valley, CA
Its funny, its like we hit the ground running right after the surgery because you are soo afraid you won't lose the weight. Then you get there and next thing you know your munching on bad stuff ^.^ I'm really bad about snacking when I study. Its just like they said, the surgery is a tool, not a miracle cure. But it suuure is an effective tool :)

Honestly my life before the surgery seems like some strange dream now. Its amazing how being healthy feels. One fun thing you have to look forward too ladies, all those guys who wouldn't give you the time of day before, suddenly want to buy you drinks ;) Talk about feeling empowered. If they didn't have time for me when I was heavy, I didn't have time for them after I got skinny. You know the ones, that look like through you like your not even there. Suddenly now they see you, and you don't see them :)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics