UpCal D ... HELP!

icnside
on 8/11/12 9:19 am - Chesapeake, VA
Can somebody give me some tips on dissolving my UpCal D? Every time I try to just stir it into someting, it never seems to dissolve. I am afrain to put it on or in anything like yogurt, because i am afraid the gritty texture will still be there. Has anyone had any success?

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/12 10:42 am
I have been using Upcal for 3 months and put in my coffee, yogurt, applesauce you name it.  If you are experiencing grittiness in yogurt stir it well and let it sit for a few minutes to dissolve.  I haven't used anything else. Keep trying, I blend it up in my protein shakes, my yogurts. I don't put it in my water because you want to make sure you drink the whole glass or bottle, unless you put it in a few ounces of whatever to get it in.  Contact Poet Kelly on this sight.  She might be able to give you some good suggestions as to what else you can mix it up in.  Best of luck and keep us posted!!!     Jane
JOY H.
on 8/11/12 11:32 am - Jackson, NC
RNY on 06/27/12
I bought some too on the advice of some people on here.  I'm having the same problem.  It's nasty and gritty!!  I have put it in Diet V8 Splash, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc ad it will NOT dissolve no matter how long it sits.  Gonna get me something else and try to send this mess back to Amazon!
Lady Lithia
on 8/11/12 11:45 am
I drink my protien shakes in an Arrowhead bottle. After I mix the protein stuff and UpCal D in a small paper cup, I pour the mix into my arrowhead bottle and put the lid on and shake. It's got a sport lid, so I flip the top and drink some. I usually shake the bottle if it's sat for any length of time. I never even notice the UpCal D. For myself I don't really mind if it gets a bit gritty towards the end.... I end up usually drinking down to a bout an inch in the bottom of the bottle. Because I'm shaking it up 90% of the UpCal D is part of what I'm drinking without any sense of grit.

You can dissolve a calcium pill in a drink too. One of the people who got the RNY did an experiment and found that the Citrical dissolves pretty quick to almost all liquid over a period of time, with only a few pieces of grit at the bottom of teh glass of water.

Ultimately I don't care if a bit of grit is tastedd. It's my bones at stake here, and I treasure them.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Sonogrrl
on 8/11/12 12:42 pm
RNY on 05/22/12
I hear ya! I HATE swallowing pills so I got the Upcal D also, I do find it gritty and I only put it in my protein shake and in my crystal light. I have to constantly shake them in between swigs though or it all settles on the bottom. I've decided that for me personally, it's better than swallowing horse pills multiple times a day.
I finish off the day with a Calcet Creamy Bite (lemon flavor) which gives me another 500mg. But those are 40 calories each which was shocking so I only have one.
RNY 5/22/12      27.5.bs lost pre-op      
OldmanJim
on 8/11/12 6:31 am - AZ
I bought a post-op kit from Bariatic Advantage on the advice of my surgeon.  It included Calcium Crystals unflavored powder.  For a 3 month supply it included 3 jars at $14+ each.  I tried it 3 times and to me it had a nasty flavor.  I still have 2 unopened jars and threw the third away.  I took Kelly's advice and bought UpcalD.  Yes at times it may seem a little gritty, but to me it is 1000 per cent better than BA's.  I do what others have said and put it in soup, applesauce, oatmeal, SF grape juice (shake often and shake well), once in a while in SF, FF pudding, and of course in my protein shake.  Mix it well and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and than mix it again before you eat or drink it.The cost of UpcalD is also a lot cheaper than BA's.  

I always add it after it after I cook what I'm eating or mix in a drink.

Jim   
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/11/12 1:56 pm - OH
Calcium will never completely dissolve in jus****er, but I mix my Upcal D in SF hot chocolate almoste very weekday morning and although I do have to re-stir if I don't drink it quickly, I don't notice any grittiness (unless you let it sit and then don't restir).  I haven't tried it mixed in anything cold (liquid or otherwise), so maybe mixing it in warm water helps...???

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lotsofhope80
on 8/11/12 3:06 pm - OH
RNY on 04/02/12
 I just open the packet dump it in my mouth and wa**** down with a little water or Crystal Light. Its a little awkward at first but I prefer it that way over messing with mixing it or the alternative horse pills. It doesnt taste bad at all (its a little sweet) and it is quickly washed down.
Call me crazy but thats what works for me!! I hope you find something that works too.
poet_kelly
on 8/11/12 5:03 pm - OH
I've never had any trouble getting it to dissolve.  If I let my drink sit for a while, the powder kind of settles to the bottom but it mixes back in easily if I stir or shake my drink.  I don't think it makes yogurt gritty - it's not that much powder, really.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kelly L.
on 8/11/12 6:11 pm - San Jacinto, CA
 I put it in everything I drink... I just shake the crap out of it, then let it sit for a minute or two... The I shake it one more time. Maybe use warmer liquids? Then cool them off.

HW 274. CW 129

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 561 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 547 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 13 views