Brown rice question

snookie
on 8/15/12 9:57 am
I am 4yrs post op and lost 200lbs, gained back 30 and trying to get back on track. I am good with my protein and vitamins, but have some bad habits that have crept back in. I went to an accupuncturist that mentioned my cravings could be because I dont have enough grains in my diet. Is brown rice ok? I dont do white rice, actually no rice at the moment.  But cheap bread has been introduced again out of poverty, and i wanted to know if brown rice was ok for 4yrs post op.
wendydettmer
on 8/15/12 10:01 am - Rochester, NY
without knowing what cravings you are talking about, my better guess is that it's because of the cheap bread. things like wonder bread, etc, can cause major cravings with me. it's why i can't really do bread products. i can tolerate them, but they are trigger foods, and physically make me think about and crave them until i detox from it all.

that said, brown rice and whole wheat (not just whole grain, which is a farce), is on my eating plan. i find i have less cravings with half a whole wheat wrap then a white wrap, although i try to avoid the wraps personally. but they should be ok for you if they aren't a trigger

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

DangerGirl
on 8/15/12 10:24 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/17/12

From what I've read, brown rice is not bad.  Quinoa is a really good grain to look at too.  It's a whole grain that's actually really high in protein.  That might help.

wendydettmer
on 8/15/12 12:28 pm - Rochester, NY
 quiona isn't technically a grain, which is why i think it doesn't cause a lot of issues with people that typical grains like wheat do.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/15/12 10:30 am

I removed all grains from my diet. I don't have cravings for them.
In my case - the more carbs - starchy I eat - the more i crave,
If I eat any grains - I may use some quinoa. or wild rice (that is more like seed not grain). brown rice like white rice raises my Blood sugar too much and too fast. I don't tolerate that.
Best way is to try.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mary Catherine
on 8/15/12 11:05 am
30 pounds of bounceback after a 200 pound loss sounds pretty normal to me.  If you want to lose some or all of that weight, do it by counting calories.   Give yourself plenty of time.  A pound a week would be excellent and you could have it all off by early in 2013. 
mat0174
on 8/15/12 12:40 pm
Be careful with rice, it all acts the same in your pouch, it absorbs anything liquid, expands and gets stuck. Id recommend trying another form of whole grain on a regular basis, rice is just too temperamental, and can ruin your whole meal. Id recommend adding grains to your breakfast where your body will have a chance to utilize the carbohydrates throughout the day and give you some sustained energy.
christinalee
on 8/15/12 1:42 pm - At Home in, NH
I eat brown rice routinely. Of course, I only eat 1/4 cup at a time. I incorporate whole grains (in small amounts) for a balanced approach to life-long eating. Everyone has different needs and different desires, so you'll get many different opinions. Whatever you choose to do, just remember that the serving size should be very small.

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

snookie
on 8/15/12 2:37 pm
Thanks for the input, everyone! Great ideas! Maybe for a good grain I should consider oatmeal or something...
lilbear412
on 8/15/12 4:09 pm - MN
 i try really hard to keep off the white stuff and stay with the brown.  I don't eat a lot of rice but brown is normally the way i go when i do.  If i eat any rice though its usually about 1/4 cup.  I eat 10 grain multigrain bread (country hearth) if i have bread and carb balanced tortilla if i have them.  I love potatoes but only eat them a few times a month now.  I love oatmeal but don't eat it as often as i used to as my work schedule is now very early morning.  Sometimes i have it for a snack.  I do believe you have to have carbs and these are "good" ones and plus you need the fiber.  good luck..

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 464 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 440 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views