When does depression set in?

artroxy blue
on 8/20/12 4:45 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I'm wondering when depression sets in post-op? I've actually been feeling really good, and haven't had any incidents of depression, weepies, etc. I know I'm almost a week out, so I was curious as to when it started for some people? Do some people not even experience it?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/20/12 4:47 am - OH
MANY people don't have any post-op depression.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

artroxy blue
on 8/20/12 4:51 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 That's good to know! Thank you! 

My PCP and psychiatrist were stressing that since I'm pre-disposed to depression that I need to be very careful of it post-op. 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/20/12 5:16 am, edited 8/19/12 10:16 pm - OH
If you have struggled with depression in the past, your chances of becoming depressed are greater than some who has never experienced depression, but is still no guarantee that you will experience it. For some people who DO experience the depression, it sets in within just a couple of weeks, for some it takes longer.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

artroxy blue
on 8/20/12 5:47 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Very true! Thank you for your insight--I appreciate it!
Dave Chambers
on 8/20/12 5:44 am - Mira Loma, CA
There is no guarantee that every post op will have depression. BUT, many post ops do have anxiety or depression post op. Worries about following protocol, missing you previos diet or ability to eat foods in larger quantity, family support issues, inabiliity to drink enough water, not finding a protein powder you like, etc.,, etc. can cause these issues.  Hormonal issues bother women too with mood swings, often causing depression.  When depression sets in, in can be a few days post op, or many months later.  No set time. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Larry Wassmann
on 8/20/12 5:52 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Be sure you are not confusing sadness with clinical depression. Unless you have been thoroughly evaluated  by professionals not TV advertisements and your PCP, you may only get sad. Clinical depression is a whole new ball game. Many people these days are convinced they have depression because they see the symptoms on TV and demand that their PCP treat them for depression and in too many cases the doctors just push them pills with no more evaluation than that. 
Cases of depression have sky rocketed now after pharmaceutical companies started advertising on TV. If you have been evaluated properly, then for heaven sakes get help, but just don’t think because you have some regrets or sadness about WLS that you are depressed or will get depressed. 
I don’t get depression, I depress many people who know me.   

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

artroxy blue
on 8/20/12 6:00 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Nope, no influence from TV. I've been diagnosed with depression for a few years now, and I manage it with medication. I am hypervigilant about the depression possibly spiraling into addiction since that has been a family history thing. I just want to stay ahead of it before it becomes something very ugly. 

And, I'm glad to hear you're depressing people with your awesomeness! LOL
martitalinda
on 8/20/12 6:07 am
On August 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM Pacific Time, Larry Wassmann wrote:
Be sure you are not confusing sadness with clinical depression. Unless you have been thoroughly evaluated  by professionals not TV advertisements and your PCP, you may only get sad. Clinical depression is a whole new ball game. Many people these days are convinced they have depression because they see the symptoms on TV and demand that their PCP treat them for depression and in too many cases the doctors just push them pills with no more evaluation than that. 
Cases of depression have sky rocketed now after pharmaceutical companies started advertising on TV. If you have been evaluated properly, then for heaven sakes get help, but just don’t think because you have some regrets or sadness about WLS that you are depressed or will get depressed. 
I don’t get depression, I depress many people who know me.   

Just the other day I overheard someone telling a mutual friend *****cently lost her husband to cancer that she was depressed and she should go ask her PCP for X, Y and Z.... I told that person that our friend is sad having suffered such a great loss ... that she was going through the process of mourning for a loved one ... that being sad after such a recent loss (a week ago) is only natural and does not mean that she is clinically depressed and in need of medications to mask her feelings/emotions ... Our friend herself stated that she has never been clinically depressed .. does not feel depressed only sad and lonely for her partner and that she did not want to start popping anti-depressants that she herself stated that she did not want ... She wants to go through the process without masking or medicating her emotions .... I rather go through the process too until closure ... I do not want pills to mask my emotions when I am not clinically depressed (I have never been and do not knock anyone who is and CAN and DO benefit from medications like my son) ... oftentimes sadness is misconstrued for depression ... without going through the process of mourning her loss giving this person pills will not help ... when the effects are gone the sadness of her loss returns until she completes the process IMO...

Now I hope what I wrote made sense because I have to rush off here and can't even check it...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Monica M.
on 8/20/12 6:11 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
very well said, both of you.. too many people want to medicate their emotions away. Feelings are ok to have.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 480 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 403 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 157 views
Recent Topics