I'm hungry!

icnside
on 8/26/12 4:08 pm - Chesapeake, VA
I am 8 weeks out from surgery and I swear I get hungry. At this point out, my surgeon's diet allows 2oz per meal (2 small medicine cups full) to include protein and fruits/veggies. No potatoes or carbs. No beef or pork. 3 meals a day, no snacks. I am also allowed up to 300 calories from protein drinks in addition to my meals. My stomach literally aches about 3 hours after I eat and I get nauseous. I am consuming about 500-600 calories a day. This is my diet until 4 months and then I can increase to 2.5oz a meal. Does this seem appropriate?

wendydettmer
on 8/26/12 4:17 pm - Rochester, NY
my plan was pretty different. i was always allowed snacks. even now i eat less 'meals' and more snacks every 2-3 hours. sometimes i feel like i'm always eating, but i get shaky otherwise.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

FoodAbuser
on 8/26/12 4:37 pm
Drink green tea. It kills hunger. Up your liquids.
I also find that chewing gum helps.
If I have a minty mounth food doesn't taste good :)
hannan
on 8/26/12 4:41 pm - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
If you're really hungry, eat. Make sure it's no head hunger or thirst first. I don't starve myself I'm almost 3 months out, I stick to small meals but if I'm hungry a few hours later I have a little snack. I really don't think it will kill me.

manda2108
on 8/26/12 4:47 pm
 I was at 500-600 calories until 6 months..3 meals..no snacks. I completely understand being hungry..I was starving allllllll the time. I'm almost 8 months out now and I've decided I cant be starving all the time..I've added in snacks and my goal is to net around 900-1000 calories. I've lost a lot of weight really fast..when I went in for my 6 month appt my surgeon said I was where her patients normally are at one year out. I haven't had any good nutritional help from my surgeon and my nut tells me something different everytime I speak with her. 

I'm not saying that you should adjust your plan without speaking to your surgeon/nut first but for me it seems like with all of the wide variety in plans..no one really has this all figured out.

poet_kelly
on 8/26/12 5:02 pm - OH
Only six ounces of food all day?  Well, I bet you do get hungry!  At that time I ate about half a cup of food (four ounces) at a time, four or five times a day.

Does your doc really want you to only get 500-600 calories for the first four months?  that doesn't sound like enough calories at all.

Are you getting enough protein?  If you eat nothing but meat, you could get about 42 grams protein from your food.  But if you're doing a protein shake, of course you could get more.  But why does your doc recommend a 300 calorie protein shake instead of an addition meal of food, which would make you less hungry?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

icnside
on 8/26/12 5:16 pm - Chesapeake, VA
Kelly, my point exactly. My NUT is off on Mondays, so I will have to call her on Tuesday and ask her that question. I have only lost 8lbs this month, an I feel like maybe it is because I am not eating enough. They said to expect to lose 25lbs total in months 2 and 3, but that would mean I would have to lose 17lbs next month to be on track. They consider a 50 calorie string cheese stick a meal!

MrsLitch
on 8/26/12 6:25 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
My plan calls for a little bit more than you but not a whole lot. and I could not get in enough protein sticking to their rules. Math is math and it just doesn't add up.

I have a snack or a fourth meal a day to get my protein in and that upped my calories. As soon as I did that my weight dropped. I had posted about calories and realized at 420 ish a day there was no way my body wasn't reacting by shutting down. My energy has also increased since I added the extra. Now mind you my breakfast is and has always been a protein shake against my doctor's orders just because food doesn't sit well on my belly first thing in the morning and never ever has.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Jennifer P.
on 8/26/12 5:11 pm - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
 My clinic gives us 8 oz of milk as snacks.  Mid morning, mid afternoon, and evening snacks.  Helps with protein too!

cclopez
on 8/26/12 5:14 pm

This is my second post today about being physically hungry - I am also 8 weeks post op and I am hungry all the time - with 4 oz of food - three times (meals) per day and no snacks. I have been trying to break up the meals into 2 oz portions to give myself a "snack" and averaging in calories about 850 calories a day. I have lost 47lbs, I don't know how you will be able to maintain only 6 oz of food per day. One thing I see is that every surgeon has their own unique meal plan ideas for their patients and they vary widely across these message boards. If you increase your food you will still lose weight however it is discouraging the lack of support the surgeon's nutritionist has provided me - I am with you on that count as well. Personally I feel increasing the calories a bit will keep you on track for the long haul. At this point you should be able to eat those 300 calories instead of drinking them - an egg or two in place of the liquid protein would go a long way. Let me know how it is going! I feel your frustration - I never had the honeymoon period of fullness and lack of hunger like so many write about -

Christina

Most Active
Recent Topics