Anyone taking antidepressants

ktaborelli
on 8/30/12 9:24 pm - Hampton, NJ
I have been taking Zoloft off and on for 15 years now. The past 6 months I have been having a real hard time with the depression. I was wondering if it could be that I am not absorbing all of the meds. If anyone has had this happened and has any advice I would greatly apriciate it. My Husband is threatening to leave because I am so nasty and of course have zero interest in sex. I thought for sure that after loosing so much weight I would want to have sex.
Thank you in advance!

Dave Chambers
on 8/30/12 9:37 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Psych meds may not work as well post op.  I'm on the same antidepressant as before my surgery. BUT, you may need to speak to your doctor to try another medication, as your current one doesn't seem to be working too well.  It takes about 6 weeks of daily usage before you note any effects of new medications. You may feel somewhat better, but need an increase in your daily meds to realize their maximum potential.  Some meds have the side effect of greatly affecting your sex drive.  It might be time for a new med. I have to attend med classes every 3-4 months, and often hear stories of patients changing meds, changing dosages, or getting a "coctail" of more than one medication to treat the patient's needs.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

misssparky
on 8/30/12 11:26 pm - MO
 I had surgery on 4/23/12 and had some problems with my meds not working after WLS.  I then went and bought a pill crusher and put my depression meds in it.  This has made ALL of the difference in the world.  Try it, it surely cant hurt.
Thank God for the wonderful gift of WLS.  Use it wisely as the tool it is meant to be and hold yourself accountable for the rest of the journey!!!

KAREN

Melyssa S.
on 8/31/12 9:05 am - Lauderhill, FL
RNY on 06/12/12
Karen good idea i think I will try this with my Zoloft. Strange as it may sound this little pill makes me nausous when I take it.:(

HW 247 SW 224 GW 140                  
Winners never quit and quitters never win. Vince Lombardi

Susan2012
on 8/31/12 1:38 am
 I take lexapro and have for many years. I too was having that same problem. Then my PCP changed it to liquid lexapro and that's working great. Maybe yours could be changed to a liquid. 

Kat Kat
on 8/31/12 1:46 am - AZ

I've noticed mine don't work as well as they did pre-op. I never had an issue with anxiety attacks when I started SSRI's over 20 years ago. I've had 2 anxiety attacks in the past several months. Fortunately, Ativan handled them quickly.

Talk this over with your Doctor, there might be other options.

Kat

ktaborelli
on 8/31/12 6:21 am - Hampton, NJ
 Thank you all. I have an apointment on the 5th so I will be talking about the different options.Do you go to your surgeon for med changes or to the doc that filled the original script?

Kay L.
on 8/31/12 6:37 am - N., AL
The doc that filled the original script.
Jennifer M.
on 8/31/12 9:05 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 I had to switch from Effexor XR to straight effexor, and it does not work as well.  My psychiatrist added ativan as needed, which has pretty much solved my problem.  At some point, I may go up to three doses of Effexor a day.

Lisa W.
on 8/31/12 4:39 pm - Fort Worth, TX
RNY on 08/22/12
 I crush mine too. That has worked well. Talk with your doctor.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 484 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 484 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics