Can fluoride make you dump?

cuddles010982
on 9/6/12 1:27 pm - Mt
I went to the dentist this morning. I mentioned that I had RNY 6 months ago and went through a few months of vomitting a lot due to 6 strictures. They decided to put this special fluoride on my teeth. They painted it on each tooth and it left this gross film and horrible taste in my mouth. They said to not brush my teeth for the rest of the day. It was so gross feeling..felt like I hadn't brushed my teeth in days. I had a salad for lunch...which is what I normally have. It tasted bad due to the fluorde on my teeth. About a half hour after lunch I started to feel terrible. Heart is racing, sweating, stomach pains, nauseas, diarrhea.

could this be dumping from the fluoride? Is this something I should be aware of in the future when I go to the dentist?

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
Jennifer P.
on 9/6/12 1:34 pm - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
 The symptoms you are describing could be from eating too fast or too much, but if that wasn't the case, then you most definitely could have dumped, especially if you couldn't get rid of the crap on your teeth right away.  I don't EVER let them do flouride treatments at the dentist even preop because I personally think they are a joke.  I was told you get enough flouride through drinking water and from the toothpaste when you brush that it's not necessary. But that's neither here nor there since you already had it done! :-)  My conclusion:  I'd say it's possible you dumped from it.

hedrider
on 9/6/12 2:34 pm - Midlothian, TX
 I highly doubt it becauses there's physically nothing IN the flouride that would cause dumping.  But it does sound like you had a reaction to something... so now I'm curious!
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

poet_kelly
on 9/6/12 2:58 pm - OH
I doubt you would dump from the floride, plus if you use toothpaste with flouride (most toothpastes  have flouride) you'd know if you dumped on that.  Maybe there was something else in the flouride treatment that bothered you but since the symptoms occurred half an hour after lunch, I wonder if there was something in your lunch that bothered you.  Did you use a different salad dressing, maybe?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/12 10:23 am
Very unlikely. Eating too fast on an empty stomach can make me dump, especially if I'm eating something with high fat content and of course, anything sweet on an empty stomach is like a bomb.

I also don't use flouride because I think it's a gimmick at best and poison at worst, but to each their own.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 549 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 533 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 227 views
Recent Topics