What is the optimum D3 Level?

Shirley O.
on 9/9/12 5:11 pm - NM
Mine was 73 at one year out.  Thanks for feedback.
Shirley
HW 280, SW--240, CW--145 
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/12 5:17 pm
I don't know if this is the same post-op as it is pre-op but they found I had vitamin D deficiency before surgery and prescribed a really high dose vitamin D. I was just re-tested this week (again pre-op still) and mine was 29. The nurse told me a normal level was between 30-100.
poet_kelly
on 9/9/12 6:12 pm - OH
According to the Linus Pauling Institute, we need it to be at least 80, otherwise we're at higher risk for stuff like osteoporosis, heart disease and some kinds of cancer.  29 is super low.  I would take a high dose of D3 (the prescription stuff is D3 and it's not absorbed well).  You're still extremely deficient.  You can order 50,000 IU D3 from vitalady.com.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/12 9:47 pm
Interesting. Thanks Kelly! The dr had me on 50,000IU once a week for 2 months. How often would you take the 50,000 to raise it up even more? Now he has me on 4,000IU daily
poet_kelly
on 9/10/12 4:50 am - OH
When my vitamin D level was only 25, I took 50,000 IU once a DAY for a couple of months to get it up around 100.  But I took 50,000 IU D3 - if you were taking the prescription stuff, that's D2 and the body has to convert D2 into D3 and it takes a lot of D2 to make a little D3.  I would not bother with D2 at all.

Currently, I require 50,000 IU D3 three times a week to maintain a good level.  Almost all post ops I know that have a level of 80 or above take at least 10,000 IU D3 a day.  I've only talked to two people that could keep their level up on 5,000 IU D3 a day.  I haven't know anyone that could keep there ievel up on less than that.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/12 6:46 am
Thanks so much for the info! I have my final medical clearance appt in a few days so I am going to ask my doctor about this.
poet_kelly
on 9/9/12 6:10 pm - OH
According to the LInus Pauling Institute, the optimum vitamin D level (vitamin D hydroxy 25) is at least 80.  Doesn't matter what the D2 and D3 level are, what matters is that the total D level is at least 80.

Niller
on 9/9/12 6:12 pm, edited 9/8/12 11:13 pm
Mine has always been a little low pre-op - even taking supplements - post - op I increased Dosages - and it has been around 70 every time I have had blood tests post -op . ..
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 9/9/12 6:23 pm
I was low pre-op and increased my D to 4,000 units a day with no increase in labs.  I was at 23.  I ordered the 50,000 unit pills from Vitalady.  I took 50,000 IU daily for 100 days then went to 50,000 IU every other day.  My next lab was 87.  My nutritionist was surprised that I improved so much and asked me how I did it. 

Winnie

Dave Chambers
on 9/9/12 6:56 pm - Mira Loma, CA

My bariatric doc says the "normal" D levels are antiquated.  Her normal range is 50-100.  I had D issue since I had surgery, and likely even before surgery.  I had an 8 for D labs post op.  Script D won't do anything, so don't waste the time.  I took 4 of the 50k IU dry D3 per week for 2 years. Labs showed a 65.  I'd slowly upped my D levels based on labs for the first 4 years post op. At 5 years, I finally decided to make a real effort to get to 80-90 target numbers.  I took 7 of the 50K IU dry D3 per week, one per day. I did this for one year. Labs then indicated my D was at a 104.  My doc was ok with that number.  Each patient is different in the amount of D they need to get to 80-90 levels.  Do the 50K IU dry D3 if your labs are low.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
Recent Topics