please help! almost 2 weeks post op

ashleym6888
on 9/10/12 8:50 pm - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
Im still on liquids and have to be for another 10 days. i have been counting down. Today im getting so frustrated i constantly feel hungry and i get upset and cry. i got dehydrated and diagnosed with a uti 2 nights ago in the er and was given iv fluids. today i barely got in soup soup broth and a bottle of water. after a couple of bites of soup i get disgusted and dont want anymore. I cant wait to get to solids but what choices do i have? i dont feel i can make it another 10 days with my stomach feeling like this, i see my surgeon for my 2 week post op this thursday i want to ask him to please let me start solids. Im really regretting this surgery and my family isnt helping because they said i had it too young at the age of 24. i also can't get in barely any protein only one i can stomach is the premier protein. please help! i dont know what to do next.. any help or ideas for soft food or what you did during liquids is appreciated.
poet_kelly
on 9/10/12 8:55 pm - OH
On September 11, 2012 at 3:50 AM Pacific Time, ashleym6888 wrote:
Im still on liquids and have to be for another 10 days. i have been counting down. Today im getting so frustrated i constantly feel hungry and i get upset and cry. i got dehydrated and diagnosed with a uti 2 nights ago in the er and was given iv fluids. today i barely got in soup soup broth and a bottle of water. after a couple of bites of soup i get disgusted and dont want anymore. I cant wait to get to solids but what choices do i have? i dont feel i can make it another 10 days with my stomach feeling like this, i see my surgeon for my 2 week post op this thursday i want to ask him to please let me start solids. Im really regretting this surgery and my family isnt helping because they said i had it too young at the age of 24. i also can't get in barely any protein only one i can stomach is the premier protein. please help! i dont know what to do next.. any help or ideas for soft food or what you did during liquids is appreciated.
If you get more fluid and more protein in, you may not feel as hungry.  Also, your stomach will feel better.  Why are you having trouble with the fluids and protein?  I understand it can be hard to get them in, I had a hard time too, but if you can identify the reason you're having trouble, that might help you solve the problem.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ashleym6888
on 9/10/12 9:04 pm - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
i feel like hungry for food, so when i go to drink water or protein i dont want it because the taste isn't satisfying me. i can take a couple of sips and be over the taste. i feel burnt out of the same stuff. i have tried low calorie gatorade, crystal lights my taste buds suck right now.
poet_kelly
on 9/10/12 9:07 pm - OH
Well, I understand this is hard, but you need to drink it anyway.  You're going to have more and more problems if you don't start getting it in.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MrsLitch
on 9/10/12 9:02 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
Oh honey I'm sorry you are feeling this way. I remember wanting each stage of food to get over until I could get real food I could bite into. sf Popsicles at least helped with the need to bite into something. You have to get your liquids in so you don't get dehydrated again. Try different temps of water to see which one feels best on your tummy I know for me it has to be ice cold or I can't drink it. I loved crystal light prior to surgery but now I can't stand the taste. Sample and try different ones to see if any help get it in. By now you should be able to drink pretty normal drinks and just set yourself a time limit to get the bottle in by and go for it. Remember when you are dehydrated it often feels like hunger so drinking more should help. Your protein shakes count as liquid too and I don't know how much protein yours has in it but 3 a day will get you around 60 where you need to be. I have to add more water to mine than it calls for to get it down watery works better for me.

I'm sorry your family isn't more supportive ((hugs)). My daughter is about to turn 24 and is looking into having it at the beginning of next year. I'm hopeful that she will. In 3 short months it has made such a huge difference in my life. Most people go through buyer's remorse but it will pass. I beat myself up asking why I did this to myself. and as the weight dropped it answered the question for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

ashleym6888
on 9/10/12 9:06 pm - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
thank you i appreciate it. i can't stomach crystal light either no more, yet i loved them before. sf popsicles have helped me a lot too. i miss the crunchiness of food and iam a person who loves spicy and miss that too.
MrsLitch
on 9/10/12 9:23 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I totally understand your missing crunch and spice.. you may be surprised once you get it that it isn't as satisfying as you remember. I think the reason this stage is so hard is because it is so "diet" like. Like a person stopping smoking or drinking. Knowing you can't have it makes you want it all the more. I can eat now and I still drink a protein shake every morning. If you told me I would back on liquids I would of laughed at you I thought no way. But it gets my protein in and seriously is the easiest way for me.

It will get better I promise and in a few short months you will be typing to someone else who is where you are now telling them to hang in there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Jenn D.
on 9/10/12 10:10 pm - LA
RNY on 06/28/12
I completely understand the "If you told me I would back on liquids I would of laughed at you I thought no way." Im with you! I thought once I got off of the liquids I'm not going back!!! ever! haha! I know that I need to keep up with my protein for weight loss and so that I don't lose my awesome hair! haha. Protein drinks are just the easiest. I do 2 protein shakes (EAS Myoplex Lite) every day.

wmamey
on 9/11/12 1:38 am
RNY on 06/18/12
I think there was about 4 days straight that I lived off sugar free popsicles. There are the standard flavors and then hopefully your store will have the tropical flavors too. Each regular size popsicle was almost 2 ounces 4-5 an hour would be 8 oz. The calorie content is so low that they equal some of the sugar free drinks. The cost can add up but not getting the fluids in can be more costly. The bite and chewing the popsicle also helped with feeling like you are actually eating something.
As far as feeling like you are hungry for food - this is a little odd because I was under the impression that that type of hunger isn't there after surgery with the nerve disruption. Maybe it's head hunger?
Also, are you seeing a dietician or nutritionist? This is very important, your appointments can be scheduled in between follow ups with the surgeon - this way you are seeing someone frequently and getting more help.
On my liquid diet I was allowed to have broth with egg white dropped in - a fake "egg drop soup." That might help if you are allowed to do that.
How long is your liquid phase? I know all surgeons reccomend different times but this seems rather long.
Just keep sipping, it is the most important thing at the moment.

ashleym6888
on 9/11/12 2:38 am - CA
RNY on 08/30/12 with
i had my surgery on august 30th. im on full liquids until september 20th then i can have puree/soft then on oct 11th i can have regular food. the obesity center i did it through says 3 weeks each phase. its difficult. im going to ask him this thursday if i can start soft. i would love an egg.! i haven't seen a nutritionist i think i will
Most Active
Recent Topics