Bad food choice confession

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/17/12 2:20 pm - OH
It is a fad going-back-to-liquids diet for RNYers... It reinforces a diet and deprivation mentality and it doesn't TEST anything.  Stick with the food plan you were given.  At least that will reinforce the healthy eating habits that you will need long term.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

chatterpam
on 9/17/12 7:56 am - PA
I am 15 months out and I wanted to say that you WILL make bad food choices from time to time. An occasional bad food choice is not a problem, it's when the bad food choices become habitual that it becomes a problem.

You know what to do - we all had the classes. Go back to eating the way we were taught. Proteins first (make sure you get the amount that your nut suggested - because protein stays with you longer and curbs hunger), limit simple carbs, measure your portions, record your food, get enough water (this also helps me with the hungries), take your vitamins, NO drinking with meals.

You did all of this just a few short months ago and you can do it now. Don't wait until tomorrow, start with your next meal.

You can do it!

jmjm55077
on 9/17/12 8:26 am - MN
We will all probably make some bad food choices...we're human but you don't beat yourself up but try and make a better choice next time or realize that you have to up exercising or it will take longer to lose that pound or you won't reward yourself for that bad choice...it happens...move on and realize what was behind the choice and resolve to improve...or even learn to factor bad choices in...like I love BBQ ribs...so I have one rib no more than once a month....it blows my diet for the day but I feel I can still do it if I exercise more and eat correctly the rest of the time...I still haven't figured out how to include cherry garcia into my diet...I'll let you know when I figure that one out:-)
jane   

hannan
on 9/17/12 9:07 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
No one is perfect. We all eat something we shouldn't every once in a while. I like to remember I didn't get to 290 eating one potato chip or one piece of candy at a party. I did it by eating a bag of each on a regular basis. Sometimes foods are ok sometimes.

ToNewBeginnings
on 9/17/12 9:39 am, edited 9/17/12 2:42 am
"Since you only had your surgery in May, and you're already to a point where you feel this need to confess, I would also suggest conseling. You are sabotaging yourself. Everybody makes mistakes, but the tone of your post seems, maybe a little more than a few mistakes"

I agree.

Having the RNY changed my life in ways I could never have imagined. I still find joys in NSV's!!
I want you to love life and use this tool you have been given.

It's really important for you to make the most of your first year.
For most, as time goes by it becomes easier and easier to physically tolerate every food.
It also becomes easier to eat more in volume.

With the realization that you can eat more you tend to do just that. Once you open the box it's hard to close it. It's harder to not eat cookies when you know that they don't have a negative effect on you. (That's me personally)

I think owning it is a good first step. Now make a plan.
Recording what you eat and drink is SO imortant. You are in the stage right now where you don't need to count calories. At two years out I use sparkpeople.com to watch my intake becaue I eat a variety of foods. You don't have to be that strict. You should be mostly eating basic simple protein choices. These also keep you feeling fuller longer.

For the first year I used a free printable weekly food diary. Actually I stil use it now most days.
www.personal-nutrition-guide.com
There are a variety of styles on there I prefer the weekly food diary. I cross out the "calorie" section and make it a "protein" column instead.
Perhaps this can help you.

I hope you get back on track now. It gets harder around the one year mark.

You hear over and over get back to the basics and you know, it's true. The more junk you eat the more you crave it. Protein first! It keeps you fuller longer.

All the best . Keep us updated!

MyLady Heidi
on 9/17/12 10:03 am
Every day is a new fresh start, bad days are gone, good days start.  I never think of what I ate yesterday I always think today is the first day of my diet and try to be as good as possible every single minute of everyday.  When I **** up it doesn't matter as much as I am good most of the time.  My downfall lately is a nut addiction.  I have been eating them for a snack.  I have given up so many things and I reason they are healthy, which they are, but they have so many calories.  I went to buy jeans on Sunday, it wasn't fun, my body is deformed.  My ass is big and my waist small.  Sounds great except no jeans fit, size 6 can't go over my ass, size 8 is swimming on my waist.  Finally found a stretchy 6 that fits.  Wear them all day and now they are too loose.  Yeah!  Wait ****   Back to the drawing board.  I have a love hate relationship with food, I hate the fact I have to eat to live and would prefer to live to eat but that got me MO.  So now I just eliminate food by the groups from my life, its less then fun, the rules are outrageous whats in and whats out.  Its like Project Runway when Heidi Klum tells you you are out and to leave the runway.  Once I am mad at a food I never forgive it and I bani**** forever.
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/12 10:21 am
I think you and I have the same body.

I laugh at "curvy" jeans.

My waist is 33" and my hips are 43" and my thighs are not skinny. Yeah. The Gap comes the closest to fitting right, but it sags in the ass and waist (one size smaller is too small). Like its meant for someone taller, which it is. I have to get them hemmed by like 4" with their "average" jeans and short in my size is rare.

And those... are the best fitting I can find and afford....
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/12 10:16 am
It happens. I ate half a bag of cheese doodles the other day from stress because I'm being strangled by deadlines. So there's you a confession. Then dinner was (albeit smaller) my usual lean protein and vegetables. So I felt better about my oops. Some days, you can only take it an hour or a minute at a time and vow to make your next meal better.

Do what you need to do. Do you remember the diet your surgeon gave you? You just had surgery in May, you ought to have that info. Look at it, see what you need to eat, and go get that stuff. Throw out the crap that has made its way into your house. Plan your meal for the next week. Make a menu and stick with it. Do this every week (or every few days, I don't know how often you shop for food****il it's second nature.

Lean protein of any kind, vegetables, fruit, complex carbs (whole wheat/whole grain) and healthy fats like nuts, seeds and olive oil.

I almost never shop for the prepackaged boxed foods but I buy stuff in jars like salsa and canned stuff like tuna, tomato sauce and beans. I buy some vegetables in can but canning takes out alot of nutrients. I definitely don't buy soup in a can (broth, yes) or any kind of meal-in-a-can. If all the work is done for you, it's probably bad for your health. The sodium alone is atrocious and I hate water retention.

And I really find it an easy diet to just cook meat and vegetables (or complex carbs) and snack on fruits, nuts, and protein bars and shakes.
jessann5
on 9/17/12 11:28 am - Kansas City, KS
Hang in there this is not an easy thing to do. Forgive yourself and start over fresh.
Protein first
Take your vitamins
Don't drink with meals
Log your food (I like www.livestrong.com/dailyplate)

Remember you are human and we all mess up. acknowlege what went wrong accept it, forgive yourself and try again.

You can do this! You deserve to be successful and you are good enough to accomplish your goals!
Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/17/12 12:05 pm - Baltimore, MD
That wasn't exactly a confession but ok.

My question is what are you going to do about it?

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Most Active
Recent Topics