RNY -- veterans or newbies -- Why did you choose it over the others?

Ksan32
on 9/22/12 2:59 am - AZ
 RNY because of diabetes and hypertension. I like malabsorption. I just replaced meds with vitamins and feel much better.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/22/12 9:58 am - OH
 I had the RNY because 5 years ago no one in my area was doing the sleeve and there were several aspects of the DS that scared me.  Quite honestly, however, if I were doing it now and both RNY and sleeve were covered by my insurance, I would opt for the slower weight loss of the sleeve just so I would avoid the lack of vitamin absorption (with RNY you will be taking a bunch of vitamins and will have to take calcium three times a day) and the inability to take NSAIDs that come with the RNY (even if you don't take NSAIDs regularly now, if you develop arthritis when you get older, you will be limited to Tylenol or prescription pain meds).

I am 5 years out and, as far as I am concerned, the only "pro" of the RNY over the VSG is the faster weight loss.  Once you are 18-24 months out you lose the caloric malabsorption anyway so you are left with just a little bit of fat malabsorption.

Please don't misinterpret this... I am glad I had the RNY as opposed to no surgery at all, but the sleeve would have been a better choice for me if it had been available.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.