RNY -- veterans or newbies -- Why did you choose it over the others?

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/21/12 9:56 am
My doc did RNY and the band. I would never had the band.  I had RNY... I was too stupid and did not research enough. I wish I had VSG.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

bbearsmama
on 9/22/12 8:19 am
RNY on 02/28/13
Hi there-are you unhappy with your RNY? What do you not like about it?  I'm curious because I've been on the fence as to which surgery to get.

Thank you for your help!!

Pam :)

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/22/12 6:58 pm
 4 years post op I have rather restricted diet what I can or can't eat. reactive hypoglycemia - hyper insulinomia is realy something I was not aware or realised how serious it can be.
 I am post menopausal yet this year I had to have another iron infusion series. One I had last year.  
Those are major issues.  And I am only 4 years out.  
Regain after 2-3 years is real even if you think you doing good things.  
I have to maintain a very restrictive diet plus exercise to maintain my weight loss.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

garnetgal
on 9/21/12 10:10 am - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
I chose the RNY over VSG because with my high BMI the VSG would have more than likely ended up being a 2 stage process for me. Getting the VSG first then later converting it to a DS or RNY. Also, the VSG statisically does not have the weight loss success that RNY does according to my surgeon and the research I did on the internet.

marianthelibrarian
on 9/21/12 10:43 am
I didn't choose RNY first.  I had a lapband in 2005, and one of the reasons I chose banding was because the rerouting of my digestive tract during the RNY and the resulting side effects scared me.  (Some how having something implanted in me didn't seem scary.  I didn't say it was necessarily the most logically thing...)  For various reasons my lapband and I failed each other, and my surgeon and I discussed other options.  We talked about the VSG and the RNY, and we decided that I would do better with the RNY for my reflux issues and my overall weight loss.  And 7 years later the RNY didn't seem so scary; it seemed logical.  I think of the lapband as my "gateway" surgery for RNY.  ;)  I'm not sure what my choice would be if I were looking into my very first weight loss surgery at this point.  What I like about the RNY for me now is that it is both malabsorptive and restrictive, and I need both while I build better eating habits (again!).

Lapband 4/2005:  342HW, 202LW
RNY 7/30/2012: 292HW, 276SW

juleskar
on 9/21/12 11:11 am
I chose RNY because it gave me restriction and malabsorption, and both me and my surgeon felt it was going to give me the results I wanted. The only reason I would have ad the vsg, is so I could take NSAID's.
Amanda M.
on 9/21/12 12:46 pm
RNY on 07/26/12
 I had the lap band done in 2007 and I had an allergic reaction, or some sort of infection for a year which caused me to have it removed in 2008.  

I didn't choose the VSG because it's a realitively new procedure and there isn't enough long-term information.  I also didn't like that you can still have tons of sugar without reprocussions.  That being said, my friend had it done and has been very successful, losing 135 pounds in a year.  I chose the RNY because it is the "gold standard" of bariatric surgery, my surgeon has done more RNY procedures than VSG, there is a lot of long-term info on it, plus I had diabetes.   

Visit me at my website:  www.momburntdinner.com or at Flickr / Facebook /Twitter 

Surgery on: July 26th, 2012     Highest (Known) Weight: 365    Current Weight: 272

val6715
on 9/21/12 1:03 pm - NJ
 Diabetes, Afib, Hiatal hernia, acid reflux, hypertension, cholesterol issues. All the comorbidity issues that  pushed me toward the RNY. 2 weeks out and feeling much better. If you have more issues than weight, I am happy with my choice.
sugarbabyhoneypump
kin

on 9/21/12 7:54 pm - IN
RNY is the gold standard for WLS. It has been done the longest and has the best long term results. I'll be dammned if I was going to go under the knife, have it not work for me, and have to have another surgery.
~~Sonya~~
(Roux-en-y 07/05/2012) Heighest Weight/Surgery Day Weight 240lbs     
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/22/12 9:59 am - OH
Actually, the DS has the best long-term results...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics