surgery date but not approved yet??

jjte
on 9/23/12 6:48 am
 My surgeon's office's insurance lady called me to set the date and told me to expect a packet of appts I need to keep. They already have the notes from my Primary doc and said we should be "all set". .  I am confused! She said it all goes to the insurance for approval after I do the required tests, psych etc, but how could they schedule me without a definite fron the insurance? I assume they know what the insurance co is looking for otherwise why would they do it?  anxious about it. Anyone have similar experience!?
Cgustavus
on 9/23/12 7:33 am - North Fond du Lac, WI
RNY on 08/23/12

I know my insurance company required a date scheduled before they could approve or deny.

~Christopher

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

anewbeginning2012
on 9/23/12 8:17 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12
 With my insurance, I did everything that was required, then the bariatric center sent all the records into the insurance for approval, once it came back is when I seen the surgeon and got my date (from day 1 it is going to be 3 1/2 months from start to finish) I have my surgery in 1 week.
Every insurance is different. I heard some see the surgeon right away, then the paperwork is sent in for approval and that is when they start with all the testings, and classes- but mine was a little opposite.
 Kris        
Elizabeth G.
on 9/23/12 9:32 am - RI
RNY on 10/18/12
My process has been exactly the same as Kris'. It'll be 3 to 3.5 months start-to-surgery. Oh the waiting... the dreaded waiting. That's where I am now. I counted up my appointments and this summer, July 2nd through September 18, I've had 20 different office appointments (PCP, NUTS, Psych, Surgeon, etc.). Get that calendar out girlie and mark 'em all down! :)

Have fun and good luck!

Liz
melaniepl
on 9/23/12 9:09 am - St. Petersburg, FL
RNY on 09/05/12
I had to pay a lot out of pocket for a panel evaluation (psych/medical/dietary/exercise) for the surgical team to clear me for surgery, which was done in one appointment, then I had an appointment to meet with the surgeon. I also had to go to a new patient support group. All of this was before my packet was even submitted to my insurance company.

The insurance coordinator informed me that they submit to insurance with a fake surgery date, because a date is required by the insurance company and it also prompts a quicker response from the insurance company. Once I was approved by the insurance company, I got my real surgery date, which was about five weeks later (my surgeon is a busy guy).

What you're going through sounds pretty par for the course!

Melanie
jjte
on 9/23/12 10:32 am
 Thanks for your quick responses. I am trying to figure out since the woman told me my primary doc's notes were good, do I still need to do the 6 month monthly check in weigh in thing even tho the surgery date is only 3 months away? It dosent make sense!!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 345 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 361 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 301 views