Discouraged

AliciaDDG
on 10/13/12 11:22 am
I had RNY July 26, 2010. I started at 198 and ended at 158. Now I am at 180 and very discouraged.
Laura in Texas
on 10/13/12 11:32 am
Eat less and move more. There's no magic to it. Just do it.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

AliciaDDG
on 10/13/12 11:44 am
Agreed. I hate exercise, eat too much and the wrong things. And I started taking a med that can cause weight gain and stopped taking one that can make you lose weight. So....
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/13/12 11:36 am - OH
What has caused the weight gain? I don't mean this to sound flippant, because it truly isn't mean to be, but weight doesn't usually just magically appear. It is generally a result of eating too much or the wrong things, not getting enough physical activity to expend the calories you take in, some kind of medical issue (e.g., metabolism issues or medications that cause weight gain), or a combination of the three.

Are you tracking what you are eating since the weight started increasing? (If you have not been doing it, START doing it!) How many calories a day are you eating? How much protein? Carbs? Water? Have your portion sizes crept up? How much physical activity do you get? Have you started taking any new medications? Have you had any symptoms of low thyroid or had your thyroid levels checked lately? Are you still adhering to the "no drinking with, or 30 minutes after, meals" rule?

What are you doing to stop the regain? I understand that it is discouraging, but it is not something that you just have to sit back and accept... you CAN control the weight... and it is important to address whatever is causing it while it is only a 20 pound regain and not 40 or 50. The best way to do that is to go back to basics: a protein-forward, limited carb diet (carbs from veggies, dairy, etc. are ok, but not "white" carbs), small portions (measure for a little while if you need to so so in order to be sure you are eating appropriate portions because it is easy to allow portion sizes to creep up as time passes), and lots of water (but never with meals or right after).

Give us some additional information about what is going on and let us know how we can help.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

AliciaDDG
on 10/13/12 11:45 am
1.  not enough water
2. eating too much and not right things
3. Not enough protein
4. med that causes weight gain because increases hunger
5. Stopped taking med that caused loss of appetite
littleskie
on 10/13/12 11:38 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
You may also find not eating carbs helps to lose weight and to keep it off. Following a low carb diet with my rny helped me lose 250 lbs.

Go back to eating the way you did as a new post-op. Protein first, non starchy veggies next, then if you have room a tiny bit of good, high fiber carbs, if you must have carbs.

You may also want to drink protein shakes. They help you to feel full longer, plus you get the benefit of even more protein.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

AliciaDDG
on 10/13/12 11:46 am
Not following the rules everyday
gbsinsatx
on 10/13/12 11:55 am - San Antonio, TX

This is not meant to be a judgement on what you have done. This is how I approached my weight loss journey...

I did not come blindly to my decision to have WLS. I looked into it for many years, and very seriously for a year prior to having RNY. 

I am very independent. I do not wait for others to hold my hand. I get all the resources I feel I will need when making a major decision. I make my choices with solid understanding under my belt. I develop a mental plan of direction and write down my course of action. 

I prepare myself for the challenge ahead knowing I may run into some roadblocks along the way. I create a way out to overcome whatever obstacles I may encounter. If I find I need more resources, or I need to gain more knowledge, I actively seek it. 

I do not make excuses. I know what I want and where I am going. I do not cry over a mis-step. I do not get others to join me in a pity party.

I remain positive, purposeful and upbeat. I hold myself to a higher standard. I do not care about what everyone else is doing. I have come to know myself and have addressed those secret places in my life we all tend to avoid. 

I have always had a clear goal and plan and I have never swayed from it. I am very strict and strong-willed. My personality, tolerance, life experience and stamina are all part of the equation. 

I know myself and my limitations. When I began this journey, I felt I was fully prepared mentally for any challenge I would come across. I put in a lot of time doing research, and I continue to educate myself as time goes on.

Now that I am in maintenance, I eat every 2-3 hours. I eat 3 main meals and 3-4 snacks daily that include protein.

I eat at least 100 grams of protein a day. I eat dairy products that are no fat/low fat. I eat simple (dairy, fruit) and complex (beans, vegetables, whole grains) carbohydrates (I do not count daily grams). I also eat eggs. I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. 

I have never introduced a food into my mouth that I have not planned to eat. I always consider the protein and nutritional value of each morsel. 

I know this rigid, controlled way of life is not for everyone, but it works great for me!

My hope for you is that you find your way! 

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

AliciaDDG
on 10/13/12 12:15 pm
I thought, "never again," like a lot of people. I thought I was ready and not going to damage my body again. I know what to do and how to do it. I wish anything I put in my mouth that I am not suppose to would make me very sick. It use to and I do not know why I tried things I should not have. I just love to eat and I love sweets and carbs.  Like I said I know what to do and not to do. I just have to do it. I know I can do, I did it before. When I do not see immediate results, I get aggreviated. I know I can do this.
Allen Y.
on 10/13/12 1:30 pm - Garland, TX
 I think the others have all given good consult.

Journal everything you eat.

Get your labs done.

Make your 'NUT'  go over and review on all your food choices

Make your doctor look for medical causes to the issue, bad thyroid, etc.

Realize that any WLS is a tool not a cure for obesity. They operate on our guts but the primary cause of obesity is in most cases between the ears and behind the nose.

I lost all my weight and gained it back, so I relate to you. I am on round two of loosing weight.

You may not be a spiritual person but in my case I find sharing your problems with a power greater than yourself via prayer helps.

Most Active
Recent Topics