Help I've gained weight and need to get it off

lorivasquez
on 10/22/12 12:17 pm - North Plainfield, NJ
I had gastric bypass in 2004 and I moved to NC 3 years ago. Since moving here I have gaine about 25-30 lbs and need to get it off. How do I get off the soda as well. I almost died from aspertame poisioning last year and can't do sugar free. I want to get back on protein shakes, does anyone seem to think that is a good idea?? Any suggestions will help. I tried weigh****chers once again lost some weight but came off of program and I think it was a mistake because it held me accountable. HELP!? I also still get sick when I eat, no vomitting or anything just no appetite when I eat, but hungry before I start eating. Living on cucumbers and soups right now. On a good day crab legs, but can't eat that everyday..lol! Thanks in advance for any input!
suzyq1966
on 10/22/12 12:27 pm - NJ
Hey, I a, so new to this as in just had surgery one week ago. But from what hear at the meetings I attend in Philly, is go back to basics. Can you find a meeting? And I have never been a fan of the protein powders, but I bit the bullet and bought the Unjury brand, available on line. I love the vanilla mixed with a 1/2 cup skim lactaid milk and a cup of coffee. And their chocolate splendor is good too. Try journaling too. You have obviously come a long way so I am sure if you get a handle on the regain now, you will be fine. Good luck!
stellasnyder1
on 10/22/12 12:39 pm - Williams, AZ
I do Premier Protien chocolate shakes. They are a little pricey but taste good. 30g Protein per shake. Beef Jerky as my snacks and pistachios in greek yogurt. Otherwise breakfast for sure, lots of protein and small portions is how it works for me.....Good luck and I agree with meetings you need a support system...

HW 272 / SW 242 / GW 150      
daphneb
on 10/22/12 1:08 pm - AK
Get off sodas completely.  I think they can help contribute to some part of your weight gain.  There are a lot of great flavored waters on the market that I have been investing in lately and really help break up the monotony of just plain water.  Get back to liquids more, Drink your 64oz of water, this should help with the not being so hungry aspect and get you off the crappy sodas.  In addition to cutting soda, get your protein on again.  If you fill your body with proteins and cut out the bad carbs, you should be able to get back on the right track again.  

How about exercise? Are you working out 3-4 times a week?  At least 20mins per time?  To me these are the basic questions of how we should be conducting our diets now and into the future.  I understand easier said then done and seeing as to how it's been a long time since your surgery, you have done pretty well considering.

25-30lbs is doable and easier to get off than anything over 100lbs.  Just get cracking and go back to what you did right after surgery.  Get away from all the bad sugars and carbs, they are what makes us fat.

Good Luck!

Bellaluna468
on 10/22/12 1:40 pm
RNY on 10/26/12
 Why not try tracking through My Fitness Pal..you can track what you eat and it can hold you accountable...you can do it from your phone as well as computer or iPad.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/22/12 1:52 pm - OH
I am not an advocate of fad diets, or going back to all liquids. (The cucumber and soup diet you are on is not healthy... cucumbers have no nutritional value other than some fiber and soup has very little protein). I am, however, an advocate of going back to basics to reinforce the HEALTHY eating habits that you SHOULD be following. Dieting only reinforces a dieting mindset (and the diet-deprivation-regain cycle), and if diets worked, none of us would have needed surgery. What DOES work long term is adopting a new way of eating.

Go back to basics: a protein forward diet (a minimum of 60g per day, and more is better), limiting carbs to dairy, veggies, beans, and small amounts of grains and fruits (no "white" carbs); lots of water but never with, or right after, meals; limited portions (go back to measuring for a while if you need to... It is very easy to let portion sizes creep up); no snacking unless it is a protein snack.

Exercise always helps, of course. Tracking your food intake will help you know whether you are making good choices, if you are getting enough protein, and will help you be accountable to yourself for what you eat.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kim S.
on 10/22/12 11:56 pm - Helena, AL
Ditto what Lora said.

You have to eat less than you burn each day consistently to lose weight.  It is simple science.  But not easy.  If it was truly easy, no one would be overweight.

You know exactly what to do.  You've done it.  You are just choosing not to do it. 

I do not advocate going back to liquids or fad diets.  I do advocate following the rules of your surgery.  Track your intake on myfitnesspal or any other program so you know what you are consuming.

And exercise.....I am a big fan of regular, strenuous (to the level you can do) exercise.  I believe it is the number one habit that has kept me at goal. 

Time to put on those big girl panties and get to work.  We are here for you.