newbee

brt11565
on 11/1/12 11:49 am - KY
RNY on 12/11/12

i am more worried losing my hair then the surgery. can anyone please help me out. i will be doing the b12. is there anything else i can do to keep my hair?

Sherrie P.
on 11/1/12 12:03 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Your hair will grow back.  If you lose it.

The advice here suggests making sure you get in all your protein.  I am taking Biotin pre-op and Megared (krill oil) and my hair dresser has commented that my hair is in awesome shape.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

qnmimi
on 11/1/12 12:57 pm - Cottage Grove, MN

My endocrine doctor says that in her experience, if you don't already have hair thinning, or predisposed to baldness, whatever you lose should come back.  Nothing I did stopped the hair loss post op, but the extra B vitamins are good for you, and some doctors recommend biotin & B vitamin supplementation.  My hair grew back fine, but is curlier than before. 

walterswife
on 11/1/12 1:03 pm
My hair has grow back but it is nowhere as thick as it used to be. I no longer worry about it. Thin hair won't kill me. Being morbidly obese---well, that's another story.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Annie_Anaba
on 11/1/12 1:17 pm
RNY on 08/27/12

The protein is the important component for the hair from what I understand. Of course B12 is important too as are all the vitamins and minerals we lose. I take biotin too but I am only 9 weeks out so I dont know if it works or not. I have seen posts from people who didnt lose their hair...so. I have also been told it grows back and sometimes thicker. Try not to worry and concentrate on the prize. Good luck.

Kim S.
on 11/2/12 1:07 am - Helena, AL

Okay, here is the skinny on the hair loss.

Yes, you should make sure you get all of your vitamins and your daily required protein.  More often than not, we all experience hair loss.  In the 4 years I've been on OH, I've never seen anyone post that they went completely bald.  I lost about 1/3 of my hair from month 4-10, then it all grew back.  Just cut it in layers and go with it.

You can take biotin, but no one really knows if that will help, AND hair will grow thicker ALL OVER YOUR BODY.  Nioxin hair products will make the hair appear fuller, but it is pricey.

Hair loss is a result of trauma from surgery and starvation.  Your body is experiencing probably the most trauma it has ever experienced from surgery date through the first year. 

At the end of the day, a bit of hair loss is a minor bump in the road compared to a healthy lifetime.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 230 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?