ISOPURE CLEAR FOR PRE OP?

jjte
on 11/17/12 8:43 pm

I will be starting my 3 day pre op clear liquids only and heard about Isopure clear?  would this be considered a "clear liquid"?  I know I can have broth, and jello, etc but this sounds like it might be a good alternative as it has some protein. Any thouts? Thanks!!

walterswife
on 11/17/12 10:09 pm

I think so but have you tasted any of them?  You were my protein source post op, as I could not tolerate the shakes. I could not wait until I was able to switch from liquids to purées. I suggest that you buy one or two and try them don't buy a whole bunch because they are nasty. Just my opinion but I have never spoken anyone who likes the taste.   Also not cost effective for your purposes. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

pcballott
on 11/17/12 10:13 pm
RNY on 11/20/12

I agree, they were horrible!  A total waste of money.  I bought two and they taste like soap.  Definitely will not be a part of my post-op diet.

poet_kelly
on 11/17/12 10:55 pm - OH
On November 18, 2012 at 4:43 AM Pacific Time, jjte wrote:

I will be starting my 3 day pre op clear liquids only and heard about Isopure clear?  would this be considered a "clear liquid"?  I know I can have broth, and jello, etc but this sounds like it might be a good alternative as it has some protein. Any thouts? Thanks!!

It's a clear liquid.  There is another protein drink that is similar called Cytomax.  You might want to try one of each (you can buy single bottles of them at GNC and Vitamin Shoppe) to see which you prefer.  I like Isopure better but not everyone agrees.  And I don't think it tastes great, either, but I found it tolerable.  You can add Crystal LIght to it or dilute it with water if you want.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ChristineB
on 11/17/12 11:27 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On November 18, 2012 at 4:43 AM Pacific Time, jjte wrote:

Isopure is horrible. It leaves your mouth feeling like it has cotton balls in it and the flavors are horrible also.

Clear liquids are just that CLEAR and not with a cloudiness to it. So that means no creams in the coffee, tea or milk based protein drinks. SF Jellos, SF popsicles broths. I found that the ready made broths in the cartons (1 qt size) are pretty good. I had revisit a liquid diet while being pre op for an abdominal surgery that I had on the 7th.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/17/12 11:35 pm - OH
Yes, they would be considered clear liquid. If you can gag them down.

I am one of the ones that found the Isopure drinks disgusting (taste, aftertaste, coated tongue, and the slimy protein stuff that accumulates in the bottom of the jar makes my stomach turn), but I really like the Cytomax (even at 5 years out, I keep some of the Cytomax tangerine flavor around for low protein days or days where I don't feel like eating at a certain meal; I haven't made a protein shake from powder in about 4 years).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Neaucora
on 11/18/12 5:09 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

I agree, isopure is nasty. But the protein shakes make me puke so I had to take the lesser of the two evils. I can only tolerate the peach/mango isopure. BUT it has to be mixed with peach mango crystal light or I cant drink it. Each isopure has a funky aftertaste. I think the worst for me was the grape. It tasted like diesle fuel fumes to me. UGH. So I take a squirt bottle, add a bunch of ice, then pour in 1/3 of a bottle of peach mango isopure, then fill up the bottle with peach mango crystal light. It takes me all day to sip on these three bottles to get that one bottle of isopure down, but it works. I get that 40 grams protein in that way. I dont know if its mental (probabally) but the shakes make me puke instantly, cant even hold them down for a couple seconds. And I have a mean little pouch that is really picky about protein. Chicken being the worst.  Soy meat  is easier on it, but then I take thyroid meds so I cannot eat that much soy or my levels go funky.

oh, and I found that I can order a case of isopure from The vitamin shop with free shipping and its still $14.00 cheaper than with a GNC gold card and ordering from GNC or buying in their store.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 303 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics