Birthday trip to The Avenue-Mad,Depressed and crying-long vent sorry

yangie314
on 12/3/12 10:44 am - MI
RNY on 07/03/12

Saturday was my birthday and for my birthday, I received money and gift cards to go and get clothes and boots. Being super excited, I went to the avenue to get a few thing. The main thing were the boots I have been eyeing for a while. It has been years since I have been able to wear boots. I figured, I would take them home to try them out. The would not zip. I am so heartbroken because I am down a total of 113 lbs since my highest weight. Today, i went to a different location closer to my job and as I walked in, the salesperson made a nasty look and asked me " are you returning or exchanging". I told her that I has exchanging. I saw these cute furry short boots and when i went to try them on. they would not zip. Trying to get myself together, I finally found a sweater and a nightshirt. When I got to the register, I advised her that I used my birthday coupon on the boots and can it be applied to my exchange. NO, she said. Considering i was all ready on edge due to the fact that they would send me a coupon 25% total purchase and now i get coupon for 30% off one item (i know it seems petty, but i was looking forward to getting a lot of new things (down from 32+ to a 26). There was another shopper in the store and she and I were talking about coupons and the salesperson interrupted in a nasty way and said, well if you were exchanging it for the same thing, you wouldn't have this problem. Needless to say, i took my exchange and left. I sat in my car and cried like a baby. All I kept remembering was getting my coat in a size 26/28 before surgery and couldn't wait to get some bad A@@ boots to go with them. Very depressed about the build up in my legs. Seems as though I will forever have cankles. What a shopping experience. Just want to feel normal again. I was able to were boots and cute shoes at this weight before. of course I was 21. Just blah. Thanks for hearing me cry

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/3/12 10:56 am, edited 12/3/12 12:03 pm - OH

I am sorry you had such a bad day.  Rude salespeople are a HUGE pet peeve of mine.  If you are "only" down to a size 26, though, you still have a lot of weight to lose, so one of these days you WILL be able to wear some cute regular boots.  Please don't misunderstand... I am not minimizing your weight loss in any way... I am just trying to point out that you still have a long way to go, so just because the boots don't fit now doesn't mean they will never fit.  Next winter you will probably have your choice of any boots in the store!  (I have muscular legs, so I still occasionally find boots that are really cute but are too snug in the calf, but I still have several pairs of boots that I really like and have one pair of high heeled black dress boots that I love!)

Hang in there.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

yangie314
on 12/3/12 11:03 am - MI
RNY on 07/03/12

Thank you. Maybe my hopes were up way too high. I do have a long way to go. I just have to hang in there. It just sucks when I deal with rude people. The crazy thing is that, I used to work in clothing retail and she could have used the code from the receipt and applied it to my exchange, but chose not to because I brought the boots back to their store. Just a all around bad day. 

MissK123456789
on 12/3/12 11:04 am - PA

Yangie, don't lose hope!  Like the other post, I have really muscular calves.  I was able to hit my goal (BARELY) this winter. This is the first time I've had tall boots since I was in the fifth grade.

Really good things are coming your way.  And, you need to thing up some really pithy comments for nasty sales people  Actually, I would call their district manager and complain about the sales person.  Keep the faith!

Karen

yangie314
on 12/3/12 12:03 pm - MI
RNY on 07/03/12

I am going to call their district manager tomorrow. When I saw an exchange come through the door, i was able to help them find what they were looking for and then some. Turned the exchange into a bigger sale. I loved the customer interaction and this is why I took it kind of to heart. Hate bad customer service. 

Everyone is right. I do have to focus on what i have accomplished and that is 88 lbs lost since july. I do feel great thought. I am now able to wear "non stretchable" clothing which is nice especially jeans. Loving my jeans.

MrsLitch
on 12/3/12 11:49 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Yangie you may find out you can never where boots esp if you have muscular calves from walking. When I was in high school and weighed a whopping 103 pounds I couldn't get boots to zip up. Don't let a pair of boots defeat you my dear you've made amazing progress and will continue to do so. Since surgery I have bought my first pair of boots ever that zipped up and that's because they are made a bit wider at the calf, I got them at Fashion Bug on clearance since they are going out of business. Keep looking and trying on different kinds and one day I hope you can strut your stuff in them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Allison P.
on 12/3/12 1:18 pm - Santa Cruz, CA

What a *****!  What is the name of the place and we can all boycot it. So sorry!

Cindyagogo
on 12/3/12 5:47 pm
RNY on 02/21/12

I have always found The Avenue staff to be totally unhelpful and on the "crusty" side. Customer service has always been less than ideal.  Perhaps that is why the 2 Avenue stores in my area have shut down.

Souperwoman
on 12/3/12 6:39 pm, edited 12/3/12 6:42 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 11/20/12

2 things I keep telling myself, because I'm SO in the same boat as you...

First, People tend to lose from the top down...so you start with getting rid of the extra chins, arms and tummy thinning out, etc.  Before ya know it, those legs will catch up!

Second, coming from 415lbs (I started at 418), can you IMAGINE how much muscle you have built up in those legs?  Think about how hard some people work to build up muscle that you just automatically had from hauling around all that extra weight.  

In a way, you're LUCKY you have more weight to lose!  If the boots are close now, the closer you come to your goal the more likely they are to fit.  As the pounds drop, things will start to even out and you'll be rockin those boots in no time!!

RE: rude staff.  I'm honestly at the point in my life where I'm tired of being pushed around.  I'm the customer.  If being nice doesn't work then I shift into being the most polite witch of a pain in the behind customer they've ever met.  I'll argue the issue, I'll demand to speak to a manager, I'll even send customer service feedback. I totally understand why you were upset since you were already down though. We all have our days. :)

SoCaPinkLady
on 12/3/12 9:25 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I feel your pain. I truly hate rude sales people. It's happening more and more. As I have gotten older I often speak up and let them know they are being rude.  I wanted to mention that Torrid has great boots and they are a bit bigger in the leg area. My daughter has thick calves and she wears Torrid boots just fine!! She gets some great looking boots at their clearance prices all the time.

(((((((((Hugs)))))))))  Just remember you will lose the weight....... but that sales clerk may never lose her Ugliness!!!!

Lori                               

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 254 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 274 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 440 views