Looking for an answer

lizpete
on 12/4/12 8:11 pm - Marlboro, MA

Since the beginning of my WLS journey everyone has told me how important protein is.   "You must east 60-70 grams of everyday",

"eat your protein first".  "if and when you experience a stall, up your protein".

My question is  Why ?

I asked my surgeon and his answer was  "it takes longer to digest"  but that can not be the only reason.  I am an intelligent,educated person but I really think there has to be another reason I mean nutrishionally.

Can anyone help answer this question for me?

poet_kelly
on 12/4/12 8:28 pm - OH
On December 5, 2012 at 4:11 AM Pacific Time, lizpete wrote:

Since the beginning of my WLS journey everyone has told me how important protein is.   "You must east 60-70 grams of everyday",

"eat your protein first".  "if and when you experience a stall, up your protein".

My question is  Why ?

I asked my surgeon and his answer was  "it takes longer to digest"  but that can not be the only reason.  I am an intelligent,educated person but I really think there has to be another reason I mean nutrishionally.

Can anyone help answer this question for me?

I don't understand why it would take longer to digest after WLS, and even if it did, why that would mean we'd need to eat more.

It's my understanding it is due to malabsorption.  We absorb protein in our small intestine.  When part of the small intestine has been bypassed, that means we don't absorb all of the protein we eat.  Therefore we need to eat more protein in order to absorb enough of it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jeterway
on 12/4/12 8:30 pm

One of the reasons to eat protein first is because you will not be able to eat that much after surgery.  Since you have to make sure to get in your protein for the day, you eat it first so that you don't fill up your pouch with other items first.  If you eat your protein first, and then are still hungry, you can eat the other items on your plate.  Right after surgery, the protein was really the only thing that I had room for.  Now that I am a few years out, I can move on to the vegetables.

MultiMom
on 12/4/12 8:33 pm - NH

The following is NOT my words, but it does give a good description of what I was told about why protein is so important. I'm not sure that I agree with the hair loss part, but I can tell you that I was getting in at least 70 grams of protein daily by 2 weeks out and never had hair loss.

I was really shocked when I read a post on this board yesterday from a person who's Dr said veggies first. I have never heard that one before and couldn't find any reference on the Internet that promotes that. Anyway, here is the copy and paste that I found LINK

Next to water, protein is the most abundant substance in the human body. The word "protein" is derived from the Greek word meaning "of first importance." This is literally true for the bariatric surgery patient. Protein is undeniably the most important nutrient in the bariatric diet. 

Weight loss surgery causes severe trauma to the body. After bariatric surgery or gastric bypass surgery, you must take in sufficient protein every day to speed wound healing, preserve your lean body mass, enhance your fat-burning metabolism and minimize hair loss. Foods that are high in protein should always be eaten first during meals. The recommended long term post-surgery protein intake may vary from 55 to over 100 grams per day, depending on your individual needs and the bariatric diet provided by your surgeon or dietitian. 

It's very difficult to consume enough protein from foods alone during the first several months after weight loss surgery. Most bariatric surgery patients integrate liquid protein supplements such as shakes, cold drinks, hot drinks, soups and puddings into their diet after surgery and many continue to use them as a balanced, convenient source of protein and nutrition for the rest of their lives. 

Protein provides many important benefits to the bariatric surgery patient:
" Protein aids in proper wound healing after bariatric surgery. 
" Protein helps keep your hair, skin, bones and nails healthy. 
" Protein helps form hormones, enzymes and immune system antibodies to help your body function properly.
" Protein helps your body burn fat instead of muscle for a healthier weight loss. 
" Protein supports your natural metabolism so you lose weight quicker. 
" Protein curb's your hunger between meals. 

Your body is actually made up of thousands of different proteins. Because your body is constantly making new proteins and because you don't store amino acids (the building blocks of protein), you need to intake a new supply of protein each day. The body can make 13 amino acids, but 9 amino acids are essential, meaning they cannot be made by your body and must come from food sources. There are both complete and incomplete protein sources. Complete proteins contain all the essential amino acids needed for the body to make new protein. Incomplete proteins are lacking one or more essential amino acids. A good source of complete protein is animal protein whi*****ludes meat, fish, eggs and dairy products. Vegetable or plant protein is incomplete protein. 

As you follow your bariatric diet, keep in mind that plant proteins are not "complete" proteins. (A complete protein is one food item that contains all of the essential amino acids). Plant proteins should be used together with animal protein sources to provide you with all of the essential amino acids you need. 

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

missmomof4
on 12/4/12 9:12 pm
RNY on 09/10/12
When your body begins ketosis, it will essentially "burn its own house". Your body will begin to break down your muscles for nourishment. Feeding your body protein helps keep muscle so you're burning mostly fat and not muscle. Also after major surgery, protein helps your body heal. And of course, dense protein sits in our pouch longer, so we feel full longer.

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
amyred27
on 12/4/12 10:49 pm

its important to remember that eating enough protein prevents muscle wasting. We do not want our bodies to burn muscle. For every one pound of muscle we have it burns 50 calories per hour, at rest. Adipose tissue does not burn calories. So eat protein and strength train to keep those muscles

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/4/12 10:54 pm - Baltimore, MD

Oh protein. You complex, flighty temptress! (Ok, that was cheesy)

So far as the digestion thing, I THINK your surgeon means that it takes longer for the body to convert protein into energy than it does carbs. So when you eat high protein diets your body will most likely turn to fat to get energy because converting protein to energy is more difficult. (I hope that makes sense)

So far as other reasons:

-Protein helps you maintain muscle mass as you lose weight. This is important because when your body is eating itself (essentially what you do when you lose weight at this rate) it does not JUST turn to fat, but also to muscle. And I'm not talking about having six pack abs or ripping biceps. Your muscles can take a beating in this whole deal.

-Malabsorption: we don't absorb all the protein we eat, so we have to eat a bit more to acommodate for that.

-Fullness. Protein is more dense and it keeps you fuller longer. Most new folks don't get the importance of that but wait three years. It will become one of the deciding factors of how much you can eat. When I eat lean protein first, I eat significantly LESS overall than if I start with a carb. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

lizpete
on 12/5/12 5:39 am - Marlboro, MA

THANK YOU to everyone who helped me with this  Now I understand.

I am a WHY?  person.  don't  tell me or ask me  to do something without explaining the reason  I have to.  LOL   just ask my parents and teachers..LOL 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 192 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?