Need more info on the bypass... was planning on the sleeve

susan1277
on 12/17/12 10:11 pm - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with

Hello everyone!  On Friday I had my pre-op  radiology whi*****luded an upper GI.  The office called me later that day to tell me that my acid reflux is severe and up to my collar bones.  That being said, he doesn't feel confident doing the sleeve on me knowing there is a chance it could get worse.  He wants me to check into the RnY since there is a good chance it will reduce the acid reflux.  Now, before this news I was 100% going to get the sleeve, I wasn't even considering the RnY.  I have had several abdominal surgeries w/ hernias and IBS so re-routing of my digestive tract was out of the question for me.  Now if I want to loose weight by WLS, I need to consider this option.  I was wondering how people with the Rny are doing.  Complications?  Recovery?  How many vitamins do you have to take?  Vitamin deficiencies?  Thanks for any insight you can give.  I'm still doing research on the Rny but would like some "real life" insight. 

Rny 6/10/13            Highest Weight 343           Surgery Weight 306

Mendie Thompson
on 12/17/12 10:21 pm - TX
RNY on 09/24/12

I have had no complications at all (and pray it stays that way).  Through the day I take 2 multivitamins, 3 calcium pills, 1 b-50 complex, and once a week I take sublingual b-12.  Taking them is the easy part...REMEMBERING to take them is a little more work.  I am so glad I chose the RNY...and would do it a million times over.

tulips52
on 12/17/12 10:35 pm

The same thing happened to me...a week before my scheduled surgery.. they reviewed my tests and said my acid reflux was too severe for the sleeve. I debated going through with the RNY. I am only 14mths out and have had no regrets YET. It is an important decision and you are right to research it further before deciding. Good luck!

TXKashmir
on 12/17/12 11:24 pm - Grand Prairie, TX

Hi, Susan,

I just wanted to let you know that after my RnY, not only was my acid reflux completely resolved, so was my IBS. Of course, not everyone has the same results, but I just wanted to let you know there is a good chance this will really work out for you. I have had no complications, and managed to lose 148 pounds total. Good luck to you, and keep us posted!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

cajungirl
on 12/18/12 1:29 am

I'll be 8 years post-op in a couple of months. 

Complications from surgery?  None, I did have my gallbladder out 5 years later but wouldn't say it's due to RNY (or rapid weight loss, I'd been at goal for 4 years).

Recovery?  I've had several surgeries including a c-section, hysterectomy.  Both of these were much more difficult for me than gastric bypass.

Vitamin deficiencies?  I've had a few that were corrected with additional vitamins and supplements.....as long as you stay on top of your labs (get copies, track them for downward trends) most deficiencies are easily managed.

How many vitamins?  A good amount for me dictated by labs.  All of us are different some take way more than others; again stay on top of your labs, so very important.

I also had moderate to severe acid reflux....RNY definitely made it MUCH better.  In the past year I've experienced a "little" that I've been able to deal with much easier than before WLS.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

alaskasusan
on 12/18/12 10:32 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I can so relate to how you feel.  I starte the pre-op prep stage 6 months ago and no way was I doing ANYTHING but the band, or at worst-case, the sleeve.  Well, the upper GI found a stricture so off I go for an endoscopy to rule out Barretts.  Well, I do have Barretts, which is casued by bad reflux disease for a long time (I did not know it, I have been completely unaware of any symptoms, that is why it got so bad).  Which, for me, ruled out ANY option but the RNY.  You can imagine my consternation and disappointment!  However, WLS is what I need and all the good things I hear really outweigh the few unfortunate things that I've read on this forum.  I am happy to say my date is set for 1/7/13 and I am looking forward to finally getting my life back!  Good luck in your decision, this seems to be a good place to help!

Susan

juleskar
on 12/18/12 2:32 pm

I too was interested in the sleeve. Mainly because I wanted to be able to take NSAID's for my chronic back pain.  Due to severe GERD, my surgeon wanted me to have RNY.  Zero complications and my only regret was I didn't have the surgery years ago.

ShebasMom
on 12/18/12 2:51 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Initially, I wanted the sleeve, but my insurance wouldn't pay. My surgeon felt due to my severe GERD, the rny was a better choice. My GERD isn't completely gone, but it is much better. I used to elevate the head of bed about 45 degrees. Now, it's elevated about 15 degrees. I continue to take Nexium and hope I can wean off of it when I'm near my goal weight.

Complications: I had my gall bladder removed 9 months after rny. Then about 6 weeks later, I experienced excruciating pain. It was either a ulcer in the remnant stomach or a shower of gall stones.  Narcotics did relieve the pain, but my surgeon did not want to rule out the ulcer. Three month treatment of an ulcer is less of a risk, than diagnosing an ucler by surgery. 

Vitamins: 2 generic Centrium silver, 1500 mg calcium citrate, 10,000 units dry Vit D (based on labs), 100 mg carbonyl iron w/ vit C (based on labs),  biotin 5000 mg.  Currently, I'm not taking B12 due to high level, but probably will resume after March 2013 labs. For constipation, I take Miralax, generic Colace and 500 mg mag oxide. I use a pill organizer, because I take other meds not related to rny.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

susan1277
on 12/19/12 12:35 am - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with

So how often do you have to go in for lab work to check the vitamins?  Do most people have "normal" uh... bathroom stuff afterwards? 

MsBatt
on 12/19/12 10:19 am

I chose the DS (duodenal switch), so I have a Sleeved stomach, although a bit larger than most surgeons do the stand-alone sleeve. I had pretty bad GERD pre-op, but since surgery it's completely resolved. I've not had any reflux, nor do I take any sort of PPI.

Research the DS as well---it's always a good idea to hang onto your pylorus if you can.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 299 views