Dumping

Careecans9801
on 1/9/13 6:48 am - cohocton, NY

So I just have a question... my surgery is 1/14 and I have been reading alot of posts lately about how people dont dump...I thought part of the surgery was that you were going to "dump" if you ate "bad foods". Can someone help me with this? I have just never heard of someone not dumping.

Surgery Date 1/14/13

lizpete
on 1/9/13 7:10 am - Marlboro, MA

My surgeon told me that only about 30% of people actually dump. He then explained what it was and that scared me enough to stay away from any of the NO_NO's. 

Careecans9801
on 1/9/13 8:20 am - cohocton, NY

Hmmm with as much research I have done I have never come across this... thank you so much!!!!

Surgery Date 1/14/13

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/13 8:49 am

Yep, that means 70% of us will not dump.  Don't count on that to be a big factor in having the surgery because if you find out you don't dump and can eat sweets again, you could sabotage yourself.  Jane

anewbeginning2012
on 1/9/13 8:56 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I just keep telling myself that I DO dump no matter what. That way I don't even want to try sugary foods. I don't eat anything that has above 10 grams of sugar. I have been fine so far.

Kris        
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/9/13 8:59 am, edited 1/10/13 2:04 am - OH

Yep, only 30% dump, so chances are that you WON'T.  Also, some people who dump early out don't dump later on (or don't dump until they have had a LOT of sugar).  Occasionally, dumping gets worse over time.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

apurdie
on 1/9/13 9:24 am - CA

I only dumped after 9 days post surgery at Thanks giving.  Even though I puréed the turkey, I didn't know that it had been soaked the prior day, all day in sugar and salt.  I was so sick!

BugdocMom
on 1/9/13 12:05 pm - CA

"Dumping" is a medical term describing a condition/complication that can occur in someone who has had gastric surgery (usually associated with the removal of the pyloric valve). Some may confuse lactose intolerance, an irritated pouch, inability to tolerate certain foods, and simply diarrhea or vomiting with "dumping". However, true "dumping"  involves a specific suite of symptoms that may or may not include vomiting and/or diarrhea and is usually caused by eating sugar and sometimes carbs. Dumping does not occur in pre-gastric bypass folks and only occurs in approximately 30% of post-bypass patients. The condition can usually be controlled by avoiding foods high in sugar and carbs, eating slowly, and not drinking with meals. In other words, following our surgeon's recommended plan:)

I have included info on dumping syndrome from the Mayo Clinic website and a bit from Wikipedia.

"Dumping syndrome is a group of symptoms most likely to develop if you've had surgery to remove all or part of your stomach, or if your stomach has been surgically bypassed to help lose weight. Also called rapid gastric emptying, dumping syndrome occurs when the undigested contents of your stomach are transported or "dumped" into your small intestine too rapidly.

Most people with dumping syndrome experience symptoms soon after eating. In others, symptoms may occur one to three hours after eating. In either case, symptoms can range from mild to severe and may include:

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain, cramps
  • Diarrhea
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness
  • Bloating, belching
  • Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate
  • Sweating
  • Weakness, fatigue
  • Shakiness
  • Feelings of anxiety, nervousness
  • Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate
  • Fainting
  • Mental confusion
  • Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)

In dumping syndrome, food and gastric juices from your stomach move to your small intestine in an unregulated, abnormally fast manner. This accelerated process is most often related to changes in your stomach associated with surgery. For example, when the opening (pylorus) between your stomach and the first portion of the small intestine (duodenum) has been damaged or removed during an operation, dumping syndrome may develop.
Dumping syndrome may occur at least mildly in one-quarter to one-half of people who have had gastric bypass surgery."

"Rapid loading of the small intestine with stomach contents can lead to rapid entry of water into the intestines.
In addition, people with this syndrome often suffer from low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, because the rapid "dumping" of food triggers the pancreas to release excessive amounts of insulin into the bloodstream. This type of hypoglycemia is referred to as "alimentary hypoglycemia".  (Wikipedia)

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion over the topic and the use of the medical term, "dumping."

Several months ago, I described one of my dumping episodes in detail in my blog if anyone is interested in reading about it.

Here's the link to the post in my public blog (still in progress getting it set up) http://bugdocmom.com/2012/11/18/the-dumping-details/

and here's the link to my blog on Thinner Times Forum http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/blog/1371/entry-4181-the-dumping-details/

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/13 12:53 pm

Thanks, BugdocMom for posting this. It helps all the newbies understand what true dumping is all about.  We see it here all the time people think they are "dumping" when all reality that is not the case..  Thanks!  Jane

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/10/13 12:52 am

I am a "dumper" but even i don't dump all the time.    Most people  do not dump, and some - stop dumping after a while.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 412 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 15 views
Recent Topics