ULCERS???? WHY?

MzKeepinOn
on 1/10/13 4:05 am

I was diagnosed with a couple of ulcers after my EGD today.  Im about 6 1/2 weeks out.  He put me on Carafate and Omeprazole.  here is my question tho.... what caused this?  I don't drink, smoke or drink Caffeine.  Could it be spaghetti sauce or apple juice?  Is it common after RNY?  Thanks for any answers you all can give me!!

cajungirl
on 1/10/13 4:27 am

Some people are more susceptible to ulcers than others, even normies.  Drinking, caffeine and smoking may make the changes higher but it isn't the only cause for ulcers.  The Carafate and Omeprazole will help tremendously! 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

MzKeepinOn
on 1/10/13 7:47 am

Thank you!

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/10/13 4:54 am

Sorry babe. Beauty of RNY.  I get them sometimes.  I am on daily antacid. That helps preventing them. I have been on taht for last 4.5 years. Every time I try to get off - I get ulcer.  I did not have GERD or acid issue before RNY.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MzKeepinOn
on 1/10/13 7:46 am

I'm like you... Never had a problem with GERD or acid issues before surgery.  I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing something wrong. I didn't know this was common for RNY. WOW.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/10/13 8:11 am
Not sure what omeprozole you are taking and how much is your copay - but OTC omeprozole best price is in Sam's or Costco. App $14-17 for pack of 42. Just in case you need that long term.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Paul C.
on 1/10/13 6:06 am - Cumming, GA

Depending where the Ulcer is located.

For me my ulcers tend be in my Intestine right below the stoma and the continuous drip of stomach acid causes mine, that and when I am highly stressed and stomach acid production increases.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
MzKeepinOn
on 1/10/13 7:47 am

They didn't tell me where it was. I'll have to ask.

alaskasusan
on 1/10/13 10:05 am, edited 1/10/13 10:06 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Wait.  What?  I'm still pre-op, approved just waiting for a date.  I never had any symptoms of GERD but during my testing something showed up on the swallow test so I had an EGD where it was discovered that I have Barrett's (caused by long-term GERD).  Long-term because I didn't know I had it I guess.  THAT negated me getting any WLS except RNY.  I was told by my surgeon (and have read a lot about it) that RNY is therapeutic for GERD/Barrett's.  Now you're saying RNY has contributed to you getting ulcers?? 

Argh!   I thought the acid was so reduced that along with improving blood pressure, diabetes, etc, that GERD would also be improved.  What am i getting wrong?

I sure hope that you recover quickly, bless your heart!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 397 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 385 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 251 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 323 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics