When were you allowed fruit?

RebeccaElise
on 1/25/13 7:26 am - Quincy, MA

I was 3 weeks out before I could move onto soft fruits and cooked veggies. I have really been enjoying blue berries and clementines. I had a few problems with apples and pears, though, so I'll have to try them again in a few months.

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

Lori F.
on 1/25/13 7:54 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

I have been allowed fruit since the beginning - watered down juice the first week during full liquids, pureed the second week, anything soft enough to be mashed with a fork during soft the third and fourth week and now no restrictions (all as long as it was with protein in small amounts).

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

MrsLitch
on 1/25/13 8:23 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

What does your doctor's plan say? We can all say when we were allowed something but every plan is so different. I was not allowed fruit until like 4 months?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Debbie W.
on 1/25/13 8:38 am
RNY on 12/11/12

I agree with Mrs Litch.....what does your doctors plan say?   I can have 1/2 cup at four months.

LeesaKF
on 1/25/13 8:45 am - CT

See, that's where I'm confused. The notebook my Dr. gave me says one thing, but the instructions he gave me last week were different - sounded like no new foods for another 3 weeks. I know I should just ask him, but I was also curious what y'all's experience has been.

nfarris79
on 1/25/13 9:44 am - Germantown, MD

My plan "allowed" for fruit after the first year. Um, yeah, I didn't make it that long. Paid for it dearly, as I dumped on my first fruit experience (watermelon, 3 mo postop) and some other dumping experiences on apples until after the 1st year. Berries would be my first try, as they're lower in carbs, but really just follow your plan.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

quiltpainter
on 1/25/13 9:13 pm - CT

I just saw Dr R Thursday for 3 month checkup and he said I could add a little strawberry to my protein drinks. He has not followed the directions in his book for me at all.  By now I should be able to eat three meals a day, but he still has me on one meal with 2 protein drinks. I'm not very happy about it either.  I met the goal weight he had previously set for me and then he said I could have done better than 3 lb weight loss per week. I apparently am just average. I found it discouraging. For now I've decided just to follow his plan and see where it takes me.  I have had a couple of grapes in the past and they tasted great and there were no side effects from them (other than they may contribute to average weight loss).

quiltpainter
on 1/25/13 9:18 pm - CT

Dr. R's old nutritionist said even though he had written that book explaining about what foods you could have, he never follows it. I now understand completely what she meant. Maybe he wrote it for those few occasions when people will cheat......

LeesaKF
on 1/25/13 11:41 pm, edited 1/25/13 11:42 pm - CT

I don't know if I should be encouraged by your reply or not. :-)

Your post also brings up an excellent question - at two shakes and one tiny meal a day, how do you only lose 3 pounds a week? I don't mean YOU, but he told me that, too, and the first thought that went through my head was that they say 2 pounds for people who eat, you know, FOOD? We're not eating food, so how is that possible?

In the meantime, I'm putting that book away. It's only going to tick me off.

quiltpainter
on 1/27/13 2:10 am - CT

I'm over being mad at the dr. I realized I was really looking forward to food and I would have probably over done it anyway.  So maybe he just kept me on track.  Having the protein mix with greek yogurt and a bit of pureed strawberries is actually very good. I am just so sick of drinking cold meals in the cold weather. This seems to be making me happy. I can always use his book for those times I just can't take the protein mix/drinks anymore. I'm less than 60 lbs to my goal and it no longer seems that far away. The appt has re-motivated me to keep the end goal in sight..   I hope you are doing well.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 29 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 258 views