Can someone explain Malabsorb to me please

lizpete
on 1/28/13 8:54 pm - Marlboro, MA

I am curious about the whole malabsorbsion issue.  Do we not absorb calories? fat? nutriants?  I can understand the nuts and I understand that we are not eating as much so I understand the need for vitamins. But if we do not absorb all the calories we eat  then why do we count calories.   Is there a formula? to calculate the malabsorbion   I am doing well with no issues. Fairly stable loss and only 15lbs from my personal goal at almost 10 months out.  I met my surgeons goal at 6 months.  I am just curious.

cajungirl
on 1/28/13 9:25 pm

Here's a picture of the bypass area of RNY and why vitamins are so important.

Initially we malabsorb calories, fat and protein.  We do NOT malabsorb carbs, no surgery does as the absorption of carbs begin in the mouth.  As time goes on, our bodies attempt to repair itself by growing more villa hence why the majority of malabsorption of food goes away, however, we NEVER stop malabsorbing vitamins and why it's important to supplement for life and know your labs.

No there isn't a formula on how much we malabsorb everyones body is different.

Congrats on reaching goal.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 1/28/13 9:30 pm - OH

There are these little tiny things in your small intestine called villi.  They are like fingers that grab up calories and absorb them.  When they bypass part of the small intestine, suddenly there are fewer villi in there to suck up the calories.

However, your body quickly figures that out and it is afraid it's gonna starve.  So your small intestine starts to grow more villi in the part that has not been bypassed.  After two or three years, you have about the same number you had before surgery so you absorb about the same amount of calories again.

It's pretty cool if you think about it.

However.  We continue to malabsorb vitamins because only certain spots in the small intestine absorb each one of those.  That never goes away because some of those spots are bypassed forever.  Your intestine cannot grow new ones.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mizzou_Fan
on 1/28/13 10:21 pm - MO
RNY on 12/06/12

I appreciate the explanation on this topic.I was in the same boat as to not knowing what kind of calories were malabsorbed.Thanks again!

I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

lizpete
on 1/29/13 1:49 am - Marlboro, MA

I knew I could count on you guys to answer this question.  Thank you.

liftafter50
on 1/29/13 7:50 am

I too was educated on this subject with all of your posting. Great question to post on the board.

HW 267 SW 260 CW 245 GW 165 Surgery date Sept 24, 2012          

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views